Refugees and immigrants live in uncertain times. The International Institute of New England (IINE) provides humanitarian relief, education, skills training, job placement, family reunification and pathways to citizenship for 2,500 immigrants and refugees each year. IINE is the oldest and second largest resettlement agency in the region and has the largest Central American family reunification program in Greater Boston. More than 1000 refugees and immigrants enroll in our education programs annually, and each year we connect hundreds of new Americans to jobs in New England companies. We work in Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire. To learn more about our work, please visit: www.iine.org.
As Director of Development and Communications at IINE, you’ll share our unwavering vision that refugees and immigrants are able to realize their dreams and contribute to New England’s growth and prosperity. You’ll be responsible for managing the development and communications team, and working with them to evaluate, develop and implement strategies to grow IINE’s base of philanthropic support. You’ll use your unique blend of strong strategic and analytical skills, and deep knowledge of development and communications work, to ensure IINE meets its annual non-institutional fundraising goals.
As the manager of the fundraising staff, you’ll be responsible for the successful execution of all events, securing corporate sponsorships, and processing all direct mail and online campaigns. Together with your team, you’ll manage giving from individuals, corporations, and community/faith groups. You’ll also work to ensure an integrated communications, branding, and media relations strategy that meets programming and fundraising needs.
This role reports to the Chief External Affairs Officer and manages the Director of Suitcase Stories, Manager of Marketing and Communications, Manager of Planned and Philanthropic Giving, Manager of Events and Corporate Relations and Donor Management Specialist. You’ll work closely with the grants team, which is responsible for most public and private grant solicitations and reports from institutional funders. This position is based in Boston, MA, or can be remote with travel to the Boston office on occasion, and will be supporting clients in our New England programs. To accommodate the needs of our clients, some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Staff Management and Department Administration
- Hire, supervise, direct, and evaluate direct reports
- Develop and maintain annual department and event budgets
- As directed by the Chief External Relations Officer, support IINE’s Board of Directors, including developing presentations and reports for IINE’s Development Committee
- Manage quality assurance for communications and development, including ensuring Salesforce records are up-to-date
- Ensure that good systems and processes are built and maintained
- Manage all aspects of IINE’s annual fundraising from individual donors, including direct mail and online appeals, in-person solicitations, donor appeal segmentation, acknowledgments, stewardship, and gift acknowledgments
- Design, manage, and modify IINE’s moves management system, identifying major donors and prospects for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship by development and senior staff
- Analyze Salesforce reports and data, utilizing information to modify fundraising strategy as appropriate
- Lead the development staff’s successful execution of all IINE fundraising events, including large signature events (International Women’s Day and Golden Door Award Gala), Suitcase Stories® mainstage performances, and smaller house parties
- Oversee IINE’s corporate and faith/community group fundraising efforts
- Support IINE’s Leadership Council, a group of generous donors and advisors to IINE’s mission
- Manage the interface between the Development and Finance offices, preparing fundraising reports and forecasts as required
Communications, Branding + Media Relations
- As the supervisor of IINE’s communications staff, ensure a coordinated and integrated design and implementation of IINE’s marketing, branding and media relations strategy
- Brainstorm and direct development of internal and external collateral and publications
- Ensure that the Suitcase Stories® program meets annual targets, providing logistical and tactical support to the Suitcase Stories Director as necessary
- Work across departments to ensure the ongoing improvement of the website, ensuring the site is current and accurately communicating information to all visitors.
Each candidate brings their own unique combination of strengths, skills and lived and professional experiences to a role. Reviewing the qualifications listed below can help you to better understand what will be expected of you as a member of the IINE team. We do not expect candidates to meet all of the criteria. If you think you would be a strong candidate for this role, please apply even if you don't meet all of the qualifications listed.
- Commitment to IINE’s humanitarian mission to serve immigrants, refugees, and newcomer populations
- Progressive leadership experience in development and communications
- Demonstrated management experience, including hiring, supervision, and performance evaluation of direct reports
- Experience managing and implementing events and appeals, and raising funds from individuals, families and corporations
- Prior experience growing a development program and demonstrated success as a fundraiser; prior experience developing and implementing a moves management system preferred
- Excellent systems knowledge and data analysis skills; experience with Salesforce and Constant Contact preferred
- Prior communications experience, including creating, or overseeing creation of, marketing products
- Strong writing and editing skills; ability to communicate concisely and creatively
How To Apply
IINE offers a robust compensation and benefits package including generous vacation, sick and personal time, 12 paid holidays per year and access to a retirement plan. To learn more about IINE’s workplace culture and benefits, please click here. The salary range for this role is $90,000-$95,000.
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application through the online portal operated by our recruitment partner Positively Partners. All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission. Please email IINE@positivelypartners.org with questions or for support submitting your application.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
IINE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions, without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IINE is committed to ensuring individuals with disabilities receive the accommodations required for them to interview for a position on our team. Should you require accommodations, please contact email@example.com.