Director of Development
Who We Are
Princeton AlumniCorps was founded in 1989 by Princeton University’s class of ’55 as an independent 501(c)3 called Project 55. We support community organizations committed to building a more just, equitable, and sustainable society by developing and engaging young leaders and professionals of all ages to advance social change. We pursue our mission by (a) providing leadership development programs across the arc of civic engagement; (b) building an expansive community of engaged citizens and organizations, and (c) creating and deepening social impact.
For more information about AlumniCorps’ programs, leadership, and strategic plan, please visit www.alumnicorps.org.
Princeton AlumniCorps seeks an enterprising and imaginative Director of Development to guide fundraising and s efforts for our organization. Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will have primary responsibility for all areas of fundraising, including individual giving, major and planned gifts, and corporate and foundation grants. In addition to raising funds to support annual operating expenses, the Director of Development will be responsible for the AlumniCorps Campaign for Our Future, which will conclude in June, 2022. The Director will leverage all forms of communication and events to grow AlumniCorps’ national profile, build on existing fundraising infrastructure, and implement new donor engagement strategies that respond to a changing development environment and a growing organization with an ambitious strategic vision.
Working in close partnership with the Executive Director and Board leadership, the Director of Development will be at once an internal strategist, a public champion, and a trusted colleague. The successful applicant will thrive in a small team environment while maintaining high visibility and regular communication and relationship building with a wide, diverse, and geographically-dispersed network of volunteers and donors.
The Director of Development will:
- Develop and implement comprehensive annual fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Development Steering Group of the Board.
- Develop and implement Campaign for Our Future fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Campaign Committee of the Board.
- Prospect, cultivate, solicit, thank, and steward individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Craft a major gifts strategy and steward a portfolio of five-figure donors.
- Steward and grow the Keystone Society, AlumniCorps’ planned giving program.
- Support and manage a team of volunteers, including the Development Steering Group and Campaign Committee, coordinating personal outreach assignments and keeping volunteer solicitors updated on gifts received.
- Seek strategic advice and direction from the committees and implement their recommendations.
- Track and report individual giving and prepare periodic progress reports for the Board, adjusting strategies as necessary to grow our donor base and meet overall advancement targets.
- Actively pursue foundation grants and corporate sponsorships, overseeing grant applications, reporting, and tracking.
- Work closely with the Director of Operations, Executive Director, and other staff members, as well as volunteers to organize local and national outreach and fundraising events.
- Work with the Finance Committee, Executive Director, Director of Operations, and accountant on audits and reconciliations as needed.
- Represent Princeton AlumniCorps in the community and help create institutional visibility.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have demonstrated success in securing philanthropic gifts and grants from individuals and foundations
- Have 3 - 8 years of professional experience, preferably in growing a complex development operation.
- Be a person of unimpeachable integrity dedicated to building and sustaining the trust of all AlumniCorps stakeholders.
- Be a strategic thinker and driven fundraising professional with the ability to communicate excitement about AlumniCorps’ mission to diverse audiences.
- Be a relationship builder who develops and maintains strong, collaborative working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Center equity in their work and actively contribute to us building an anti-racist culture in our community.
- Demonstrate inclusive leadership and management, and regularly include others in decision-making.
- Enthusiastically identify and pursue opportunities for funding and donor/volunteer participation.
- Work across a range of functions critical to fundraising for a $1M nonprofit, from administrative tasks to front-facing cultivation, with ease and a commitment to excellence in all areas.
- Have facility with Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack, or similar donor database software.
- Have outstanding written and oral communication skills, including a confident and congenial presentation style.
- Successfully shepherd projects from concept to execution with strong organization skills, attention to detail, and commitment to results.
- Have experience engaging and managing volunteers.
- Approach this role with flexibility, good humor, steadiness under pressure, optimism, and a sense of mission.
Salary & Benefits
The position is full-time and can be either remote or hybrid. As the COVID pandemic eases, the role requires 15% travel. The salary for this position ranges from $68k to $74k, with exact salary depending on experience. We also offer excellent benefits such as medical and dental insurance, retirement benefits, 20 days of paid time off, and generous holidays. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQT people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply.
To apply, email a resume, letter of interest, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line “Director of Development” by October 5th, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample that demonstrates your fundraising and development experience to email@example.com