Pivot Learning is a nonprofit organization of K-12 education experts working shoulder-to-shoulder with districts, schools, and state-level policymakers to address the biggest challenges they face. We partner with education leaders at all levels and provide them with the knowledge, skills and support proven to strengthen educational systems and transform teaching and learning.
We are currently seeking a Director of Development to join our team. This position is responsible for designing and implementing fundraising strategies that meet the organization’s strategic goals and builds toward longer-term organizational growth and sustainability. The Director of Development is also responsible for development operations, ensuring that strong systems and structures are in place to facilitate Pivot’s fundraising efforts.
The Director of Development reports to the CEO, is a member of the organizational Leadership Team, and is responsible for strategically engaging the Board of Trustees around fundraising.
This is a full-time, Exempt position based out of our Oakland office.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Fundraising Strategy Development and Implementation
- Design and implement a fundraising plan that supports Pivot’s annual budget requirements and program development priorities while also initiating longer-term resource development strategies to meet organizational growth and sustainability goals.
- Manage Pivot’s portfolio of grant funding from private and family foundations, corporations, individual donors, government agencies, and other organizations.
- Develop high-quality written deliverables for fundraising that reflect program priorities and advance revenue goals. Materials include proposals, donor reports, pitch decks, stories, and other necessary materials. Work collaboratively with finance and program teams to collect necessary information and synthesize it in compelling and accurate ways for donor audiences.
- Work closely with the CEO, Senior Leadership Team, and others to identify matches between organizational priorities and funding opportunities.
- Working in close partnership with the CEO, serve as relationship manager for the organization’s portfolio of funders, and drive the strategic prospect management process.
- Support the cultivation and development of revenue sources in addition to foundations, such as state and federal grant programs, major gifts, venture philanthropy, etc.
- Perform development-related reporting to staff, Board of Trustees and Senior Leadership Team.
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of new board members and support all board members to raise the organization’s profile and fundraise.
- Monitor and manage strategic partnerships that are critical to the organization’s profile and fundraising efforts.
System and Team Building
- Ensure that strong organizational systems and structures are in place to support fundraising work.
- Continuously improve current fundraising systems and processes and establish new systems and processes as needed, ensuring development operations are fully documented, technology-supported, user-friendly, and efficiently and effectively reinforcing the organization’s ability to meet its goals.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- 10+ years’ professional development experience. Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new donors and funders.
- Demonstrated success designing and implementing fundraising strategies.
- Track record of cultivating and securing foundation, corporate, and individual funding.
- Experience and demonstrated success writing sophisticated grant proposals and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including those related to fundraising, grant writing, and grant reporting.
- Experience developing and managing productive working relationships with foundation officers, major donors and board members, preferably in the Education sector.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with the philanthropic community, especially organizations that invest in education.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment.
- A commitment to the work of Pivot Learning Partners and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization's impact.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Pivot Learning offers a competitive compensation package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, 403b, vacation leave, sick leave, and 15 paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How To Apply
If you would like to apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please comment on how your skills and experience are a good match for this position, your salary requirements, and where you heard about this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage applicants to submit their materials as soon as possible.
Pivot Learning is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.