BACKGROUND: 663 million people in the world live without clean water. The majority live in isolated rural areas and spend hours every day walking to collect water for their family; water that often carries diseases.
charity: water’s mission is to bring clean and safe drinking water to people in developing countries. Since its founding in 2006 by visionary CEO Scott Harrison, charity: water has surpassed $350M raised from more than a million donors. charity: water has committed more than $250M to their work in the field, funding 30,000 water projects with 29 local partners to bring 8.5 million people in 26 countries clean drinking water.
Founded on the value of transparency, charity: water operates on an innovative 100% model which is powered by The Well, a membership program of approximately 130 private donors who give annually to cover operating costs so that 100% of the money charity: water raises from public donations can fund water projects.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to the COO and working closely alongside the Founder-CEO, the Director of Development will lead major donor giving for charity: water. S/he will be responsible for developing the team, strategies and tactics to grow major donor revenue for both water projects and operations funding in support of the organization’s unique 100% model. This leader will devise and execute a fresh version of best practices in major donor fundraising, blending traditional, time-tested approaches with charity: water’s bespoke supporter-centric ethos and set new standards for the global philanthropic community. Reporting to the Director is a high-performing team of 5 major gift officers that will continue to grow in proportion to charity: water’s growth and increased scope and scale. The Director will have the unique opportunity to build upon charity: water’s success by charting an innovative path forward to grow the organization’s major donor revenue and impact—specifically—to change millions of lives by providing access to clean water.
FUNDING: In 2018, charity: water raised a total of $70M and has seen unprecedented growth since conception, growing 40% year over year for the past two years, enabling it to expand its international reach and impact. This growth is exclusively from philanthropic support, and primarily from individual donations at both the micro and major donor level. In 2018, major individual donors contributed a total of $35M, of which $16M will be raised exclusively for water projects through sponsorships and the gala; another $19M was raised to support operations through The Well program.
- Passion for the mission and vision of charity: water.
- Ability to serve as a thought partner to the COO and CEO on “moves management” strategy and donor experience for the overall portfolio of supporters/prospects.
- Experience building, leading, and motivating a national/global major gift team.
- A front-line major gift solicitor capable of closing and stewarding six- and seven-figure gifts.
- A collaborative, team-driven style.
- Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- A commitment to encouraging optimal use of technology and information systems pertinent to the role.
- Creative and entrepreneurial.
- Results-driven; comfortable with metrics and measuring outcomes.
- Curiosity and humility.
- A genuine, warm, open and engaging style.
- A global citizen, ideally having lived or worked in the developing world, and/or a genuine passion for the work of global organizations.
- Ability and willingness to participate in evening and weekend events and to travel, as appropriate to the role.
How To Apply
To apply, click here or visit howe-lewis.com and click on the “Assignments” tab on the top menu. You may also email your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com