Catholic Charities, Diocese of Des Moines is seeking a high-energy, relationship leader with a proven track record of raising funds through major gifts, annual appeals, corporate sponsorships, and other activities to grow fund development in partnership with governing and organization leadership, staff, and constituents.
- Design and implement a comprehensive Development Plan and strategies to enable sustainable growth toward the achievement of Catholic Charities’ strategic plan, goals, and financial objectives. Assess strategies to cultivate and steward donors, partners, and prospects in building a strong framework of giving to advance the mission, values, and vision of Catholic Charities.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy that integrates fund development at all levels of the organization. Communicate and guide leaders and board to effectively represent Catholic Charities in optimizing fundraising initiatives to community leaders, corporations, parishes, prospective donors, volunteers, and other influencers.
- Participate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and leaders to envision and set a direction for fund development, as well as identify and cultivate a pipeline of potential supporters, building on referrals from board members, advocates, and through research. Engage with the Development Board Committee through regular meetings and ongoing communications about the progress and attainment of fund development goals and actions.
- Manage a portfolio of donors, including prospective major and special gift donors, through development of a contribution and solicitation plan focusing on current, past, and prospective donors. Plan and coordinate timely donor-related communications and materials, including print and electronic appeals, meeting packets, and stewardship communications.
- Identify and meet with interested individuals about planned giving opportunities and provide relevant information in stewarding interest and support. Monitor planned gifts and maintain all records related to wills, trusts, charitable gift annuities, and memorial gifts.
- Oversee and manage a donor management system to ensure accuracy and integrity of data with documentation of cultivation, stewardship and gift processing activities. Participate and collaborate as a member of the Diocese Advancement Team in its meetings and communications, including creation of a master calendar.
- Develop policies and procedures consistent with Catholic Social Teachings. Comply with all relevant regulations and laws, including a code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising professionals. Maintain donor accountability standards. Inform leadership and board on current trends and practices in fund development to facilitate policy decisions.
- Participate as an active member of the organization’s leadership team, including input on short-and long-term strategic and operational planning, budgeting, including setting annual fundraising targets, and related activities.
Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years fundraising experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study; advanced degree desired
- Passion and advocacy for Catholic Charities’ legacy, mission, values and vision
- Experience with non-profit organizations
- Prior experience working directly and engaging with Board of Directors and Development Board Committee
- Proven ability to secure gifts from existing and prospective donors, regularly moving donors through a pipeline toward increased giving
- Demonstrated experience in donor and volunteer engagement; skilled in developing relationships with volunteers and board to participate in fundraising
- Proficiency in securing sponsorships for fundraising events
- Exceptional written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal skills
- End-user experience with Raiser’s Edge fundraising or other donor management software
- Self-starter, effective time/project management skills, highly organized, ability to prioritize multiple requests while meeting deadlines, flexibility with job duties
- Creative thinker and problem-solver
- Flexible work schedule, including travel throughout the 23-county service region and occasional evening and weekend work
- Valid driver's license and automobile insurance
- 35-hour workweek
- Health, dental, vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life insurance and LTD
- Supplemental insurance plans
- 403(b) retirement plan and matching
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous paid time off
- 11 paid holidays
Who We Are
Catholic Charities is an accredited social service organization that serves more than 20,000 people of all faiths in Central and Southwest Iowa each year. Catholic Charities has five programs, including Counseling, Refugee Resettlement, Food Pantry, Emergency Family Shelter, and Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault. Because our mission is based on Catholic Social Teaching, we are compelled to help ALL in need, regardless of religion, race, gender, or demographic. We partner with many other civic and religious organizations in the area to complement our services and strive for well-rounded care for those we serve. Applicants and employees need not be Catholic. However, all employees are governed by the teachings of the Catholic Church.
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired.