Asia Society Policy Institute (ASPI), a solution-oriented think- and do-tank headquartered in New York with an office in Washington, D.C., seeks a Director of Trade, Investment and Innovation in its Washington office to develop and implement policy projects, design and implement office programs and initiatives, and help to deepen relationships with the U.S. and Asian economic policy communities in Washington. This position reports to the Vice President and Managing Director of the ASPI Washington D.C. Office.
- Engage in the design, goal-setting, and implementation of ASPI policy projects in the trade, investment, and innovation field
- Build and strengthen relationships and partnerships with stakeholders in these initiatives across multiple geographies, but particularly those based in Washington: U.S., Asian, and other international government officials; business leaders; representatives from multilateral organizations and civil society; etc.
- Stay abreast of new policy developments; analyze policy; lead in the coordination and development of policy roadmaps and recommendations; draft white papers, articles, opinion pieces, and social media content for myriad audiences
- Represent ASPI in both public settings and private, high-level briefings.
- Develop and implement strategies for promoting ASPI initiatives among local and global audiences and securing the attention and engagement of influential constituencies
- Manage the tasks of staff engaged in your initiatives, as well as the budget of these initiatives, in concert with ASPI senior leadership
- Support the trade, investment and innovation work of the Vice President
- Plan and carry out fundraising activities for your projects and portfolio, in coordination with the Asia Society’s development department and ASPI senior staff
- Expand the network of partnerships and stakeholder relationships for the D.C. office, particularly with the U.S. government, Congress, and embassies, in close coordination with other Asia Society senior staff
- Develop, coordinate, and implement programs and initiatives for the D.C. office, including but not limited to, developing, organizing, and executing congressional, stakeholder, and Embassy office-wide roundtables and private and public events involving ASPI senior leadership
- Engage in other duties as assigned.
- At least 7-9 years of progressively responsible experience, including at least three years in directly managing and leading initiatives focused on trade, investment, and innovation.
- Expertise in trade, investment, and innovation matters, including with focus on Asian policy and U.S.-Asia or intra-Asia relations.
- Professional experience analyzing or working on key issues in trade, investment, and innovation.
- Proven history of generating impact in the policy space by working for and/or engaging government officials, business leaders, and other influential constituencies in policy projects.
- Professional experience participating in multidisciplinary, collaborative research, analysis, and policy development projects in this field.
- Experience managing staff in a matrixed organization preferred; experience in nonprofit management including strategy, fundraising, and administration a plus.
- Experience in developing, coordinating, and running programs and initiatives.
- Advanced degree in international relations/affairs, political science, public policy, international economics, or other related area preferred.
- Proficiency in an Asian language a plus; fluency in English required.
- Experience living and/or working in Asia preferred.
ABOUT ASIA SOCIETY:
The Asia Society, founded by John D. Rockefeller the 3rd in 1956, is a global non-profit dedicated to identifying future pathways for Asia and the world which enhance peace, prosperity, freedom, equality, and sustainability. Headquartered in NYC, with 15 Centers located in Asia, the US and Europe, the Asia Society has a dynamic and impressive Board of Trustees of more than 70 international leaders representing thought leadership in policy, the arts, education as well as in governance and philanthropy.
Asia Society is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and empowering workplace. We believe that engaging staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better realize our mission of navigating shared futures.
Asia Society offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, numerous paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, self-development hours, and more. Please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits summary
Benefit package highlights:
- An HRA plan (fully funded by Asia Society) supplements our medical plan and covers the full annual deductible.
- After 1 year of service (1,000 hours), Asia Society contributes 6% of gross earnings to an eligible employee’s 403(b) account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own contributions.
- Asia Society offers Self-Development time off, including Self-Development Summer Fridays between July 4th and Labor Day.
Asia Society is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role, all interested applicants must submit a completed application to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A completed application must include:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements
- Subject line containing: job title
How To Apply