Position: Digital Coordinator
About the Nonhuman Rights Project
The Nonhuman Rights Project is the only civil rights organization in the United States dedicated solely to securing rights for nonhuman animals. Our groundbreaking work challenges an archaic, unjust legal status quo that views and treats all nonhuman animals as “things” with no rights. We work to achieve our message in three ways: (1) Litigation (changing the legal status quo and catalyzing a global conversation about how nonhuman animals are viewed and treated under the law); (2) Legislation and Advocacy (building grassroots support at the local, national, and global levels and working to pass the first nonhuman rights laws in the US); and (3) Education (raising awareness of the need and basis for nonhuman rights and providing resources to empower others to join the fight). You can learn more about our work on our website.
The Digital Coordinator supports Communications and Development functions and is responsible for digital content creation and management, CRM management, member support, and the implementation of the organization’s digital strategies. The Digital Coordinator will also assist with the development of digital strategies. The ideal candidate will bring energy and initiative to this position, helping to identify and create high-impact opportunities to amplify our visibility and reach. Ideal candidates should enjoy data management and be excited about keeping up to date on trends and best practices in digital marketing and fundraising. We expect this will grow into a strategizing and coordinating role in the next year.
This is a full time, remote, US-based position.
Digital content creation and management (email, social media, website)
• With the Communications Director, manage an organizational content calendar
• Assist with digital content creation (copy and graphics) for email and website
• Manage all social media platforms including calendaring and scheduling content, responding to comments, monitoring activities and trending stories, and sharing with relevant staff any key new contacts with the goals of building meaningful connections, encouraging community members to take action, and attracting new donors and partners
• Update website as needed under the direction of Communications Director and ensure content is accurate, fresh, timely, free of errors, and consistent with the NhRP’s brand
• Serve as the organization’s CRM expert
• With the Communications Director, manage our database and email lists in the organization’s CRM (EveryAction) according to industry best practices and the recommendations of external partners and vendors where applicable
• Create and maintain segmented lists and searches in EveryAction for targeted email communication and according to staff needs
• Assist with the creation of EveryAction forms
• Update and monitor the performance of EveryAction forms and identify, relay, and remedy issues in a timely manner
• Create and manage organizational protocols for data entry, including a robust system of tagging and source codes, monitoring, cleaning, and updating data, and using best practices to ensure data integrity and quality
• Manage donor gift processing, tracking, acknowledgement, and monthly reconciliation in conjunction with external accounting team
• Generate reports related to communications and development
• Track all donor engagement activity through our CRM and maintain accurate archives of donor contact information, donations and support, and donor communications according to industry best practices
• Conduct research using donor database to assist colleagues with preparations for donor meetings
• Regularly analyze donor data and share insights on past giving to help inform current fundraising strategies
• Manage our CRM and other digital vendor contracts
Assistance with campaigns and strategy
• With the Communications Director and, where applicable, external partners and vendors, assist with the development and implementation of the organization’s social media strategy, online fundraising efforts, and digital marketing campaigns
• With Communications Director and, where applicable, external partners and vendors, monitor cross-platform analytics dashboard, analyze performance metrics and progress toward goals, and use data insights to experiment and make improvements
• Serve as the organization’s digital expert and a knowledgeable and accessible resource on digital content, engagement strategies, and campaigns
• Monitor development department inbox and voicemail, responding to incoming messages and flagging issues and questions for other staff where appropriate
• Assist members and donors with issues pertaining to online donations, subscription requests, or member contact records
• Respond to requests for assistance with the NhRP’s online shop
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Powerful commitment to civil rights and civil liberties consistent with the mission and goals of the NhRP; genuine passion for NhRP’s mission and an understanding of the difference between animal welfare and animal rights
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or a related field and/or at least two years of relevant experience (nonprofit/advocacy experience preferred)
• Strong knowledge of current trends related to online fundraising, social media, and digital acquisition
• Experience effectively managing social media platforms and fluency in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and LinkedIn
• Strong and proven ability to communicate effectively and tactfully online
• Experience publishing on blogs, photo/video sharing sites, social networking with a good online reputation
• Experience with EveryAction, Canva, Google Docs, and Hootsuite strongly encouraged
• Strong writing skills, with 2-3 samples of varied styles of writing
• Basic HTML and website publishing, especially via WordPress (or other CMS) skills a plus (willingness to learn also works!)
• Photography and video creation and editing skills are a plus
• Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative while also responding well to feedback and direction when given
• Ability to work remotely and independently
• Ability to multitask and be flexible regarding assignments
• Positive attitude, exceptional people skills, sense of humor, and comfort in fostering and contributing to a friendly, supportive, inclusive, and team-oriented environment
The salary for this position is $55,000 - $65,000, commensurate with the candidate’s skill and experience. The NhRP also offers health insurance reimbursement, flexible paid time off, professional development stipends, and home office equipment subsidies.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter describing why you are a good candidate for this position, three references, and three writing samples, such as a social media post, a published blog post, or an email sent to a customer, member, or donor. This material should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a candidate is hired. Select candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in next steps in the selection process.
The Nonhuman Rights Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and acts in accordance with applicable laws in all of our hiring and employment practices. NhRP considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity, national origin, age, ability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor under federal, state, or local law.