The Development Specialist, Donor Relations is responsible for providing administrative and general support to the Fund Development department. The Fund Development department is focused on securing and increasing revenue for sustainable growth of Girl Scouts of Northern California (GSNorCal). This position will perform a variety of tasks related to individual and institutional giving including the donor gift acknowledgement process, donor database maintenance, coordination of meetings, event logistics and other projects as needed. The Development Specialist will also support in department activities such as assisting in the planning and communication of special events, written and verbal donor communication, research and meeting preparation. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Specialist will plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload.
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours per week). A typical work week is Monday - Friday from 9am to 5pm. The hourly rate of pay is $20.81 per hour.
1) Donor Communications
- Manage and oversee the donor acknowledgement process.
- Manage all incoming department correspondence (mail, email, and invoices) and provide timely responses to all requests and inquiries.
- Support in the gift processing procedures.
- Assist in maintaining GSNorCal donor records, both electronic and hard copy files.
- Use available resources and research to improve systems and problem solve.
- Support in recording fund development monies in a timely, ethical, and fiscally responsible manner. Observe existing checks and balances.
- Communicate and train other staff members who participate in fund development efforts on document procedures.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality of donors and reports.
- Organize, update, and maintain all department records.
- Answer calls, emails, reports and inquiries from donors and staff.
2) General Administrative and Department Support
- Work with the Chief Development Officer, Director of Major Giving and other staff members on recording non-data donor information and monitor key donor activity as part of a moves management system.
- Support the Chief Development Officer, Director of Major Giving and other staff members with Board communication/activities for board meetings, engagement opportunities, and other board related correspondence.
- Maintain the Fund Development department calendar of events and deadlines.
- Schedule and organize activities such meetings, facility arrangements, preparing meeting materials, and transcribe notes.
- Coordinate special event logistics including scheduling, drafting content, disseminating information, and preparing materials.
- Conduct prospect research and coordinate preparation for donor visits.
- Write and edit communication and correspondence as needed.
- Provide accurate and quality customer service and information.
- Ensure all project deadlines are met consistently and communicated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1+ years of experience in an administrative assistant role.
- Previous experience in event coordination.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and have an interest to improve processes and procedures.
- High discretion in handling sensitive and confidential donor information.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and with a team to achieve goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated critical thinking as represented by the ability to identify and prioritize tasks, ask appropriate questions, communicate status of deadlines, and request feedback as needed.
- Demonstrated competencies in:
- Writing, editing and proofreading a variety of publications and materials
- Efficient and accurate typing skills
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills
- Planning and time management
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain both accurate computer based donor records and hard copy files.
- Ability to exhibit a positive, cooperative attitude and professional image in working with all staff, members, donors, and visitors daily.
- Strong computer skills. Proficiency in Windows and MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel). Ability to learn new online tools and databases quickly.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse employee, volunteer, and donor population.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. without assistance.
- A strong sense of integrity, work ethic, and positive attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-demand work environment, meet deadlines successfully, and manage multiple tasks and demands.
- Ability to work some weekends as needed.
- Commitment to diversity and proven ability to work effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to pass the Girl Scouts background check process and verification standards.
- 1+ years of experience using donor database software. Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Prior experience working in fundraising or a fund development support role.
- Knowledge of internet research skills to support donor prospect research.
- Knowledge of/experience in the Girl Scout Movement.
How To Apply