Job Title: Development Specialist
Location San Jose, CA
Work Hours: Full-time (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Who We Are
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last ten years in a row.
The Development Specialist plays an instrumental role in the Northern California and Northern Nevada Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association to achieve recruitment and revenue goals for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s® (WTEA), an annual signature fundraising and awareness-building event. The Development Specialist works closely with Walk Managers to provide exceptional service internally with our staff and volunteers and externally with our walkers, team captains and donors. The Development Specialist will take the lead in supporting chapter walk staff with the creation and management of the online registration and fundraising system, Luminate and will process and track corporate sponsorships for all chapter walks.
The Development Specialist is also responsible for recruiting fundraising teams for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s® and The Longest Day, in addition to Relationship Events. They will identify participant leads and will actively contribute to reaching retention, recruitment and fundraising goals for the Alzheimer’s Association’s signature events. The Development Specialist will build relationships with key company priority contacts and provide exceptional customer service, coaching, motivation, and support in reaching their fundraising goals.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Luminate database management
● Develops and analyzes reports to strategically inform fundraising and cultivation plans
● Key contributor to solving internal and external customer concerns and issues
● Manages Chapter-wide e-communications and audience segmentation in Luminate
Fund Raising and Recruitment
● Actively solicits and secures sponsorship and table sales for Chapter Relationship events
● Generates leads and actively solicits (and recruits) new sponsors (and teams) in coordination with Walk Managers and respective Company Engagement and Team Recruitment Committees, resulting in participation and revenue increases
● Actively researches and recruits leads (participants and teams) for The Longest Day in collaboration with Constituent Events Managers, resulting in participation and revenue increases
● Takes an active role in planning Chapter Relationship Events including supporting Gala Committee, auction catalog descriptions, organization and presentation of items
Research, Prospect and General Event Management
● Leads prospect research and analytics on key constituents on behalf of Chapter Walk team
● Build and maintain goal setting, sponsorship and budget trackers for Walk program
● Key contributor for in-house training and provides admin assistance as needed
● Manages shared drives (public drive and Google drive) and Walk Team Intranet for all Walk related topics
● Leads Chapter implementation for event platforms and virtual event experience execution (e.g. Hustle, Givesmart, Webinar.net)
● Leads Chapter-wide team challenge operational coordination
● Coordinates and provides follow-up for Walk Staff meetings?
● Coordinates with Donor Services and Finance to track and manage matching gifts and vendor payments
Other Event Support
● Provides day-of event support as needed
● Leads all procurement efforts for orders of items pertaining to events, including vendor selection and negotiation
● Performs all tasks ensuring seamless registration and check-out
● Performs other development projects as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Bachelor’s Degree; Business, Marketing/Communications Preferred or equalavent experience
● Two to three years’ experience in direct marketing, peer-to-peer fundraising or similar roles
● Volunteer development and management, public relations, donor cultivation and relations, corporate sponsor cultivation and relations.
● Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Office suite
● Experience with Google Suite
● Experience creating and managing CRM marketing and fundraising campaigns on platforms such as Luminate, Blackbaud, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Team Approach or DonorPerfect.
● Expert organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
● Proven success prioritizing and managing competing projects, data sets, and varying details
● Proven ability to maintain data security and confidentiality
● Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
● Ability to work with vendors such as graphic artists, printers, merchandise businesses, caterers, etc. to deliver special events collateral materials
● Must possess basic accounting skills and principles
● Ability to travel occasionally throughout the Chapter Area
● Ability to lift items up to 20 pounds
● Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Google Suite, internet
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to work with diverse communities and demonstrate inclusiveness
Key Professional Attributes
● Outgoing, Positive, Engaging and Enthusiastic
● Self-starter, able to work independently and problem-solve, willing to take initiative
● Strong ability to self-manage with significant strength in time management
● Ability to work on a team and develop relationships
● Detail-oriented, efficient, and ability to multitask
● Sensitivity to working with older adults and ability to work compassionately with
persons with dementia or memory loss
● Strong listening skills; friendly, helpful manner with clients.
The Alzheimer’s Association offers comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance. Additional benefits include paid holidays and time off, and a 401(k)-retirement plan with matching contributions.
All employees of the Alzheimer’s Association are expected to adopt the mission of the organization in their daily work and to professionally represent the Association outside of work. All staff are expected to work as a team to accomplish, if not exceed, organizational goals as detailed in the National Strategic Plan. In addition, all staff are expected to fully engage in our culture of public policy & advocacy, fundraising, and diversity and inclusion.
● Participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s Staff Team and “Give or Get” fundraising goals
● Work at least one Walk on a weekend
● Respond to public policy calls to action & participate in advocacy days
● Enhance our culture of diversity and inclusion in all aspects of the job
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day of their choosing , Caregiver Leave, Volunteer and School Visitation time off, paid holidays and a gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
How To Apply