American Humane seeks a Development Operations Analyst. The position will work closely with the Senior Director, Development Operations, as well as the communications and fundraising teams to develop marketing strategies to drive membership and donor engagement. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the Senior Director, Development Operations. American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Development Operations Analyst (Analyst) works closely with the Senior Director, Development Operations, as well as the Communications and Development teams to develop and execute strategies aimed at increasing major and annual giving, campaigns, and general donations in a manner that supports all programs, meets goals, and reflects the mission and objectives of American Humane. This position provides data support for the development and implementation of direct mail, outbound telemarketing, and e-Philanthropy, including online marketing, email appeals, crowdfunding, mobile marketing and other emerging technologies. In conjunction with the Director, Digital Fundraising and IT department, the Analyst works to establish strategies and plans for the maintenance, use and development of new technologies and systems that will directly benefit users, both internal and external. Additionally, the position maintains a leadership role in proactively managing the Raiser’s Edge database, regularly data mining and providing quantitative analysis and reporting to senior leadership and Development team to support them in their fundraising efforts. The Analyst serves as the liaison to the Finance department for matters of constituent and gift data entry, integrity and reconciliation.
- Ensure the seamless functioning of fundraising operations (including constituent data management, caging and coding, and payment processors).
- Provide leadership for the annual giving program, including oversight and development of direct mail, telemarketing, and, in collaboration with the Director, Digital Fundraising, all online and sustainer campaigns; manage direct response vendors and work with vendors to analyze data and develop direct mail plan for the fiscal year, including segmentation and testing strategies.
- Analyze and maximize current direct response campaigns through all channels and research new opportunities to increase marketing return on investment and fundraising opportunities; develop donor engagement activities, donor recognition strategies and drive traffic to website to increase number of visitors, registrations and constituent donations.
- Develop tools within Luminate Online and Raiser’s Edge that support fundraising campaigns.
- Conceptualize database reports, including standard and custom reports, requested by staff or for special projects, create report templates and manage report requests from inception through completion.
- Share data, findings and reports with executive and senior staff so that data-driven decisions can be made to meet departmental and institutional fundraising goals.
- Proactively conduct quantitative analysis of donor trends, patterns and points of interest; deliver timely and actionable analytics.
- Provide database users with feedback on their data entry practices; establish protocols, policies and procedures as necessary to maintain best practices in all systems.
- Maintain user accounts and security settings for all systems.
- Ensure accurate transfer of data from Raiser’s Edge to Finance dept via Omatic bridge.
- Utilize all available Raiser’s Edge data enrichment tools to ensure clean and accurate data, including, but not limited to deceased processing, phone appends, email appends, age appends, gender appends.
- Serve as liaison to vendors for all data enrichment services such as wealth screening, system data appends or address update services.
- Manage contracts and negotiate contract renewals of constituent relationship management systems as necessary.
- Review invoices and new products from vendors and confer with leadership to determine best use of budgeted dollars.
- Work with the Senior Director, Development Operations to develop annual budgets and income projections.
- Design and manage prospect/donor conversion and gift processing workflow, including roles and responsibilities of all involved.
- Generate ideas and implement metrics-driven solutions to utilize other fundraising features in Luminate Online and Raiser’s Edge, or other third-party vendors to expand fundraising functionality that supports the development of fundraising programs such as the sustainer program, tribute/memorial giving, matching gifts, DAF widgets, etc.
- Participate in planning discussions around major giving, planned giving and other development and communications team strategy.
- Ensure processes are documented and up to date.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Two to five years of experience with marketing and/or direct response fundraising strategies.
- Solid organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to develop procedures for electronic systems use and train technical and non-technical users.
- General knowledge of fundraising principals, pipeline management and best practices.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; excellent proof reading skills and attention to detail.
- Excels at compiling, analyzing and maintaining data, statistics and other technology metrics.
- Works effectively as a team member in a fast-paced environment; ability to effectively prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Use sound judgement and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Experience working in a data management capacity with relational databases, preferably Blackbaud Luminate and Raiser’s Edge.
- Systems experience important; experience with Crystal or SQL a plus.
- Knowledge of commercial internet/web tools and protocols as well as the web processes from page creation to publishing.
- Solid track record of building and maintaining professional relationships with vendors and colleagues.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Standard office environment.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone and in person.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Contractors are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.
How To Apply
To apply, click here to submit resume and cover letter.