Science from Scientists (SfS) has an exciting job opening for a Development Manager in the Massachusetts/National office. The mission of Science from Scientists is to teach and inspire the next generation to identify and solve real-world problems by improving STEM literacy.
The Development Manager is an experienced, passionate and strategic fundraising professional who will support the Development team and the Board to achieve the organization’s development agenda around individual giving, events, volunteer and community engagement, and fundraising documentation for Science from Scientists. This position requires an attitude of growth and learning, a love of organization and communication, and a passion for supporting the work of SfS.
This full-time position reports to the Chief Development Officer, works day-to-day with the development team, and is responsible for several core fundraising tasks for the Massachusetts office including coordinating all aspects of the SfS annual Gala, cultivation of new school partnerships while maintaining existing partnerships/relationships, and individual donor research and prospecting. This role also involves sponsorship development, donor tracking, and grant proposal development and reporting. There is tremendous growth opportunity for a high energy professional to take on additional tasks and projects in line with the organization’s mission and vision.
Gala, Corporate, Foundation, and Individual Fundraising (70%):
- Research individual prospects and prepare summaries and recommendations for development staff and leadership.
- Lead staff person for Annual Gala event- responsible for all logistics, fundraising, follow up, and execution of the event. Works closely with the Executive Director and Chief Development Officer pre and post event.
- Participate in and lead meetings with individual prospects and donors, engaging them in supporting SfS, including phone calls, in-person meetings, and program observations in schools.
- Draft, edit, and send communiques, letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and donor-require impact reports; respond to all questions and inquiries.
- Manage follow-up for MA/national donors, including correct and timely preparation of acknowledgement letters, tax receipts, and thank you notes following required and best practices. Develop any necessary stewardship practices, establishing consistent guidelines and procedures where needed, improving inefficient processes wherever possible.
School Partnerships (20%):
- Cultivation and stewardship of schools partnerships including phone calls, emails, in person meetings, STEM class school visits, and follow up
- Maintain process for school tracking, retention, follow up, and execution of agreements.
- Maintain communication with Opps team for confirmed schools and selected programs
- Represent SfS at relevant philanthropic, education, or STEM networking events as needed.
- Assist with SfS communications as needed including impact reports, newsletters, major donor meet and greet dinners
- 3-5 years of experience working in fundraising or sales including events, preferably with remote employees and teams.
- A successful track record in meeting your goals, securing new gifts, and developing long-term donor relationships
- English language fluency with confident public speaking, persuasive writing style, and energizing presentation skills.
- Ability to embrace change
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- A high level of self-confidence, creativity, and self-motivation needed to undertake diverse responsibilities.
- An ideal candidate will have experience in: Expensify, Bill.com, Quickbooks, Zenefits, Salesforce, G Suite, and Slack
- Familiarity with Google Apps (GMail, Calendar, and Drive)
- Worked in a fast-paced small company/startup environment where progress must be made on multiple projects at the same time.
- Work in-person at the Bedford, Massachusetts office. (respecting COVID-19 restrictions)
- Access to an dependable vehicle.
- Flexing your self-organization and time management skills, identifying urgent vs. important tasks and prioritizing as needed.
- Having a comfort level with in person meetings and working in the field
- Being a team player and ready to step up to help support or champion projects.
- Working independently without direct supervision.
- Finding several solutions to a roadblock and being scrappy when you need to be.
- Giving or receiving constructive, timely, and appropriate feedback, particularly in SBI format.
- Expressing a passion for Science from Scientists’ mission with the ability to translate that excitement into compelling fundraising appeals.
- Experience using Salesforce a plus
- Traveling when you need to visit local schools, talk to potential partners, attend relevant local events.
- Passing a yearly background check, keeping your Drivers License up to date, and maintaining access to a vehicle.
- Being willing to accept other duties, big or small, as assigned by the Chief Development Officer or Executive Director
In a desire to provide a range of STEM role models for the communities we serve, Science from Scientists encourages and welcomes diversity. As an equal opportunity employer, Science from Scientists does not discriminate in employment opportunities, policies or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. It is our policy to employ persons on the basis of ability, experience, education, and character.
Employment Type: Full-time
How To Apply
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.