Students Rising Above (SRA) is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit founded 20 years ago, now serving all nine counties of the San Francisco Bay Area. Students Rising Above (SRA) believes in the transformative power of education and every day we work to empower underrepresented students with drive and potential to achieve their life goals by connecting them to the tools, resources, and supportive community they need to excel and thrive on their college-to-career journey.
Comprised of a tightly organized team of trained experts, corporate partners, an engaged student community, and the commitment of both individual donors and foundations, SRA has created an all-encompassing program that offers thousands of students:
- Social-emotional support
- Academic advising
- Healthcare navigation
- Career guidance
- Professional development
By providing comprehensive guidance and support whenever and wherever it’s needed, SRA accomplishes its mission through a series of proven initiatives that have a direct and profound impact, affecting lives for generations. For more information, visit www.studentsrisingabove.org.
At SRA we value openness, collaboration, inclusivity, commitment, and growth, and we're looking for an experienced candidate to join our team as a Development Manager. Reporting to the Director of Development, this is an important position that works closely with the Grants Manager, as well as the entire Development team. The Development Manager will support the organization’s fundraising goal of nearly $4MM by supporting the foundation and corporate grant seeking efforts, while also managing a portfolio of individual donors, maintaining and/or increasing their level of engagement.
Foundation and Corporate Relations
- Work in partnership with the Director of Development and Grants Manager to collectively secure nearly $750K in grant funding for SRA
- Prospecting research for new corporate and foundation funding opportunities
- Prepare and submit LOIs and grant proposals
- Build and implement a stewardship and outreach strategy for both corporate and foundation funders
- Prepare call briefings for funding meetings
- Build and execute corporate engagement opportunities in partnership with the Career Development team. Opportunities include but not limited to: half-day site visits to companies for SRA students; inviting corporate contacts to SRA events; building a menu of one-time volunteer opportunities for corporate groups, etc.
Donor Management and Stewardship
- Manage constituent lists for donors in the Circles of Giving level ($1,000-$10,000+) and assist with metric tracking/renewal strategy
- Manage a portfolio of Circles of Giving level donors, building a strategy to secure and/or increase their engagement with SRA
- Help execute mailings for Circle of Giving donors
- Maintains stewardship schedules and project objectives
- Assists with stewardship events, including the development of invitation lists
- Recommends new approaches, procedures and processes to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Providing donor follow-up and stewardship when gifts are made
Development Team Project Management
- In partnership with the Director of Development, act as project lead for Development Projects - from requirements definition through deployment
- Establish and maintain processes to manage scope over the project lifecycle
- Collaborate and coordinate with internal and external resources to ensure projects remain within scope, schedule, and defined budgets to streamline project efficiency and maximize deliverable outputs
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Demonstrated understanding of underserved and/or low-income communities
- Genuine interest in supporting underserved and/or low-income communities
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in nonprofit development with grant writing experience
- Demonstrated success managing external relationships with individual donors and/or funder contacts
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Familiarity with Salesforce, as well as organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision along with a willingness to ask questions to clarify assignments and accept supervisor’s guidance; enjoy working remotely
- Exceptional verbal and written skills, as well as interpersonal skills to support the ability to work with internal and external constituents in an effective and professional manner
- Must be goal oriented, well-organized and exhibit self-motivation, with initiative and the ability to overcome obstacles in achieving assigned goals
- Use of good judgment and ability to treat confidential information with discretion
- Willingness to be supportive and flexible
- Available to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed
- Access to a reliable car
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Prior experience supporting the planning and execution of small scale events (20-100 people)
SRA offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and skills.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Development Manager” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following topics:
- An example of a grant-writing strategy you used that resulted in a successful outcome
- An example where, through donor management strategies and having built a relationship with a donor, there was increased engagement with the organization