The DC Bar Foundation (DCBF) seeks a creative, strategic Development Manager to support its fundraising efforts. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Manager leads the DC Bar Foundation’s fundraising and communications efforts, with responsibility for securing private funding that support grants to DC legal services organizations, the DC poverty lawyer Loan Repayment Assistance Program, and technical assistance and training to the District’s civil legal services providers. This is a full-time position.
- Drafting and implementing a Development Plan that tracks progress towards annual fundraising goals
- Creating and maintaining a development budget that establishes projected revenue and expenses for the upcoming fiscal year
- Planning and executing seven annual campaigns and appeals: Call to Action, Go Casual for Justice, Combined Federal Campaign (CFC), Giving Tuesday, Do More 24, Leadership Appeal, Calendar Year-end Individual Appeal
- Leading and cultivating relationships with current and potential law firm, corporate, and individual donors
- Managing a portfolio of potential major individual donors
- Serving as a liaison to the Development Committee, Advisory Committee, Young Lawyers Network Leadership Council (“YLN LC”), YLN LC Selection Committee, and Call to Action Volunteer Solicitors. The Development Manager routinely plans and participates in meetings and conference calls for each of these groups
- Overseeing day-to-day projects of DCBF’s Development & Communications Assistant and Intern
- Maintaining accurate records of contributions and information about donors and prospects
- Generating regular campaign reports to evaluate progress and inform decision-making
- Working with Programs staff to identify stories and other information that make a compelling case for supporting the Foundation
- Preparing and circulating periodic updates to keep donors informed of the work their gifts support
- Coordinating the production of DCBF News, a monthly e-newsletter highlighting current events and initiatives
- Contacting donors and speaking on behalf of the Foundation about ongoing engagement and giving opportunities
- Planning and executing several reception and special events throughout the year
The Development Manager also possesses the following qualities:
- Five to seven years successful experience in annual or major gift fundraising with one year of supervisory experience preferred
- Proven ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new and prospective donors
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to analyze data and information to drive strategic fundraising
- A commitment to the Foundation’s mission
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Confidence and the ability to present information to donors and volunteer leaders in a compelling way
- Ability to thrive under deadlines, have strong project, time, and budget management skills, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Poised, pro-active, organized, and energetic self-starter with the willingness to work hands-on to develop and execute a variety of fundraising and communications activities
- Ability to lead and keep others organized and on task
- Vision, imagination, and a love for new challenges
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Salary & Benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; a traditional 401K; 12 paid holidays; 15 days paid vacation; a professional development stipend; and a transportation subsidy.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
How To Apply
Candidates should email a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and a sample fundraising letter to Claudia Bach, Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your favorite color, as well as “DCBF Development Manager, [Your Full Name]” in the subject of the email.