Organization: Food Forward, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
Position: Development Data Supervisor
Hours: Full-Time, exempted
Location: North Hollywood, CA (this position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19)
Organization Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, and beyond. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge, to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued over 185 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eight Southern California counties, several states, and tribal lands in the Southwest. See our core values posted below.*
Position Overview: Food Forward is seeking candidates for the position of Development Data Supervisor. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, they will work with a fast-paced development team and provide support in all areas of fundraising, including from individuals, foundations, events, and more. A primary focus of this position is to act as key administrator of the Salesforce database, ensuring accurate recordkeeping on Food Forward’s universe of supporters. In addition, the Development Data Supervisor will administer the online giving platform (Classy) and other integrations. They will also work closely with the Finance team, generating income reports, compiling data, assisting in reconciliation, and providing overall support to make sure financial records are accurate across the organization.
The Supervisor will be a database expert who understands the power of good data analysis in designing and implementing donor outreach. The ideal candidate will be able to see the story behind the numbers and use the data to impact messaging. They should also understand the fundamentals of nonprofit fundraising and the need for accurate information in managing donor relationships. The ideal candidate will have a positive, “can-do” attitude and the ability to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers in a diverse and brisk environment; is self-motivated and highly organized, with exceptional attention to accuracy; is flexible with the ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously; exercises good judgment in handling confidential donor information; and has a keen passion for food justice and strong alignment with Food Forward’s core values.
Data Entry, Gift Acknowledgments, and Reconciliation
- Manage processing of financial gifts; assist in recordkeeping of in-kind donations. Enter gifts into Salesforce database with accurate coding and donor information, soliciting team input when needed.
- Work with development staff to produce an accurate and timely gift acknowledgement and tax receipt process following compliance protocols; ensure regular updates to acknowledgment text; generate donor pledge reminders and invoices.
- Manage donors’ inquiries about donation records and acknowledgements; ensure timely ‘customer service.’
- Batch and report all donations to the finance staff on a timely basis following organization protocols; manage the month-end reconciliation process to ensure the smooth transfer of data to the finance staff, as well as year-end reconciliation and audit prep as requested.
Systems and CRM Management
- Manage all aspects of Salesforce database administration, including data integrity, back-up, and security.
- Manage online giving platform (Classy), including campaign implementation, troubleshooting, and reporting.
- Develop efficient systems of data sharing with other departments, ensuring donor confidentiality.
- Strategize and implement data enrichment and other integrations to accomplish organization’s goals.
- Model proficiency and stay current on Salesforce updates and best practices.
- Ensure data quality by following, establishing, and updating quality assurance processes and documentation; train staff.
- Manage vendor relationships to support development operations.
Reporting and Other Operations
- Produce accurate queries, complex reports, donor lists needed by development staff and CEO, including campaigns and mailings, events, moves management, prospect tracking, donor trends, analytics, and other tailored reports on a routine and as needed basis.
- Help development staff manage dashboards on revenue progress and moves management.
- Maintain accurate records of correspondence and campaign results.
- Work with communications staff to support data sharing and reporting for online campaigns.
- Communicate proactively to CDO and development staff about donor feedback, trends, and daily operations.
- Keep informed of Food Forward public messaging to ensure accurate donor interactions.
- Occasionally work evenings or weekend special events, which may require Southern California travel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with nonprofits, preferably in fundraising
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Salesforce administration
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications required
- High-level expertise with MS Excel, data analysis, and data visualization tools
- Understanding of basic bookkeeping is a plus
Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. Interviews in progress.
Desired Start Date: November 1, 2021
Hours: Full-time, exempted with occasional evening and weekend hours
Salary: $25.00 - $27.50 per hour
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
*Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: Development Data Supervisor – (Your Name). In the body of the cover letter include the answers to the following questions: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) Food Forward has many core values, one of which is joyfulness. Please let us know what you have done in the past to create a joyful work environment.
No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.