WildAid is a unique and dynamic global wildlife conservation non-profit based in San Francisco. With a $10 million annual budget, WildAid leverages over US $200 million in donated media placement and has received a perfect 100 score and Four Star rating from Charity Navigator. Its campaigns have contributed to an 80% decline in shark fin imports to China and an estimated 75% reduction in ivory and rhino horn prices in China and Vietnam, as well as China’s ivory ban and a host of other conservation successes.
Established in 1999, WildAid’s mission is to end the illegal wildlife trade in our lifetimes. While most wildlife conservation groups focus on protecting animals from poaching, WildAid pioneered demand reduction in conservation and works to reduce global consumption of wildlife products by persuading consumers not to buy them. With an unrivaled portfolio of celebrity ambassadors and a global network of media partners, WildAid is able to deliver high-impact, culturally sensitive multimedia campaigns reaching hundreds of millions of people every week by leveraging donated media space. We also promote conservation to people across Africa through local ambassadors and combat climate change with campaigns to reduce meat consumption and promote lower carbon transport in China. Our expanding marine program strengthens marine protected areas around the world.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Development Associate will promote the organization to small to medium donors, cultivating and soliciting gifts, and perform a variety of skilled administrative duties related to donor maintenance, donor outreach and donor communications. S/he will implement a targeted, strategic fundraising plan to include cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors to meet revenue goals.
Donor Outreach (50%)
The Development Associate will manage the donor cultivation schedule and work plan, including:
- Make donor calls
- Create and coordinate donor engagement plans across the organization
- Assist in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors
- Answer donor inquiries by phone and email
- Organize board, WildAid staff and internal dev team to make thank you calls to donors
Donor Maintenance (30%)
The Development Associate will ensure smooth and timely execution of ongoing donor maintenance activities, including:
- Maintain donor files and gift records
- Manage donor database (Salesforce) and maintain up-to-date donor records: adding and updating records, adding new gifts, managing pledges
- Act as administrator responsible for maintaining codes, users, custom fields
- Manage all licenses, contracts and contractors related to Salesforce
- Create custom database pulls, mailing lists, etc.
- Perform donor reconciliations with finance and accounting
- Process daily individual donor gifts and acknowledgements (receipts, thank you letters, hand-written notes, tribute cards, etc.)
- Manage donor email campaigns, including Annual Giving Campaign, Giving Tuesday, online matches, and program-specific campaigns. Create and manage donation pages for campaigns as needed
- Manage donor mass mailing campaigns including Annual Report
- Manage external giving sites, pull reports and manage data migration into Salesforce
- Evaluate partnership/ merchandising proposals
- Coordinate volunteers for development needs
- Create monthly fundraising reports and online dashboards
Event Support (20%)
The Development Associate will support the Director of Major Gifts/Events Manager in a variety of WildAid donor cultivation events, including:
- Annual fundraising Gala: Maintain Gala planning timetable, manage Gala vendors, track ticket sales and guest list, create donor invite lists and invitations, collateral, contract administration and execution, staffing plans, night of event support, post-event follow up
- End-to-end small event planning: create donor invite lists, oversee invitation and collateral design, create and manage online RSVP processes, night of event support, event follow-up including thank yous, database updates
- Donor purchased events/trips: support annual donor trips including Whale Shark Trip, African safaris. Create collateral, manage vendors, assist in contract execution, guest communication, and follow up
Key Competencies & Ideal Profile
We seek an entrepreneurial outgoing person, who enjoys the challenges of sales and managing relationships. This individual will be inspired by the opportunity to play a pivotal role in WildAid’s efforts to end the illegal wildlife trade. Familiarity with wildlife protection programs will be an asset. Ideal candidates will have two or more years of increasingly responsible development/fundraising roles at a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization.
All staff members must be comfortable in an entrepreneurial culture. Strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize multiple, often competing demands are critical. The successful candidate must be able to work independently without a great deal of supervision. They must also have excellent interpersonal skills to influence and collaborate with partners.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two years in a similar development/sales role
- Strong sales skills and ability to maintain positive demeanor even when hearing “no”
- Comfortable with approaching people/businesses to seek fundraising goals Salesforce or similar database experience
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Must take initiative and have a strong work ethic
- Capable multi-tasker, able to handle multiple deadlines and concurrent priorities
- Experience working in a start-up or entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with donor events and event planning
How To Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, only those chosen to interview will be contacted.