The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Development Associate.
Overview of the Human Rights Foundation
HRF is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that promotes and protects human rights globally, with a focus on closed societies. Our work includes effective campaigns to free political prisoners, world-class events such as the Oslo Freedom Forum, and programs such as Flash Drives for Freedom that publicize human rights violators and directly support dissidents and human rights defenders at risk.
Overview of the position
The Development Associate will support the fundraising efforts of a development team by assisting with grant proposal writing, donor communications, caseload management, research, and communications efforts. This position reports to the Vice President of Development.
- Research funding sources and write grant proposals on behalf of HRF Leadership
- Collaborate across multiple teams and manage workflow for team members who are both remote and often traveling
- Conduct new donor research - drive the execution for new leads and known opportunities to both expand the prospect pipeline and convert existing prospective accounts to members
- Draft letters of interest, grant proposals, and grant reports on behalf of HRF
- Work with the strategy team to carry out the donor thank you and gift acknowledgement process
- Help track relationships with sponsors and foundational supporters; manage relationships with donors, including at events
- Maintain a calendar of development action items, correspondence, and due dates
- Assist with special projects which include planning and coordinating member engagement opportunities, contributing to donor stewardship plans, and organizing events
- Support fundraisers by organizing meetings; handle follow-up requests and database inquiries
- Oversee direct mailing process
- Handle administrative tasks including expense reports, accounts payable items, timekeeping, correspondence, calendar scheduling, and travel arrangements
- Collaborate with a number of teams across HRF to coordinate meetings and execution of projects
- An understanding of and affinity for HRF’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant experience is preferred
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills are required
- Computer proficiency required, including MS Office (particularly Excel and Outlook); some database experience preferred (Salesforce)
- Self-motivated team player with a high sense of urgency and ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information and be discreet
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; possess a friendly, professional demeanor, and positive phone presence
Salary and Benefits
HRF offers a competitive salary and benefits package including fully covered medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.