Position Title: Development Assistant
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: Mountain View, CA
The SETI Institute is seeking a Development Assistant to become a member of its fundraising team. This is an entry-level position reporting to the Director of Development and working closely with the development team members. We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented and well-organized individual, with strong communication and outstanding customer service skills. Experience with non-profit organizations such as previous volunteer work, and some understanding of the fundraising function are highly desirable. The ideal candidate will have a passion for SETI Institute’s scientific mission, which is to explore, understand and explain the origin and nature of life in the universe.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Development
- Make logistics arrangements for meetings/events of various sizes, communicating with participants (internal and external), and manage/track expenses.
- Assist with daily gift processing (data entry) in Customer Relationship Management System (CRM).
- Assist with stewardship process, including use of CRM tools to create printed and/or emailed thank you letters & receipts in a timely fashion.
- Proofread letters, email solicitations, proposals, website content, and other communications for accuracy and clarity. Under supervision, draft copy and versions for thank-you letters and other communications.
- Maintain the development department’s inventory of fundraising-related print materials, and prepare informational packets for staff and volunteers.
- Provide project management support for stewardship and cultivation efforts such as year-end donor statements, benefits fulfillment, and special events.
- Serve as the development department’s front desk receptionist; respond to fundraising-related phone calls and email inquiries, and assist with welcoming guests to the Institute.
- Must be flexible, and willing to work occasional evening hours in the office or during an off-site event.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree with some experience working in an office environment or related field are preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills are required.
- Ability to interact and communicate with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds with tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated attention to detail with data-entry and basic communications.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively with team members and others at various levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Familiarity with the function and purpose of customer relationship management systems, or similar relational database systems is desired; experience using Salesforce is a big plus.
- Experience with marketing automation software systems is a big plus.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Sort, file paperwork, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh up to 25 lbs.
- Stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
For consideration, please visit www.SETI.org and submit a copy of your resume, a cover letter and a writing sample.
Note: The Institute will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Salary/Benefits: The SETI Institute provides competitive salary, excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance, a flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, vacation, and sick leave. The Institute sponsors a retirement plan option upon fulfillment of eligibility
SETI Institute is an Affirmative Action Employer.
How To Apply
Please apply on the SETI website>About Us>Jobs