Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for the Washington Education Association’s incoming Controller. The Washington Education Association is an incredible and impactful union dedicated to the optimization of public education statewide through the advancement of educator professional interests to benefit the students, staff, and communities of Washington State. This tremendous opportunity is full-time and located onsite in the Association’s headquarter offices in Federal Way, Washington.
ABOUT WASHINGTON EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (WEA):
The Washington Education Association (WEA) is a union of public education professionals. Founded in 1889, the Association is the largest representative of public-school employees in Washington State. It is WEA’s goal to build confidence in public education and increase support for Washington’s public-school system. As a union, WEA is highly regarded and recognized as the inclusive and powerful voice of public educators in Washington State, advocating for quality public education, reasonable class sizes, professional pay, and respect for those responsible for public education. While many of WEA’s 90,000 members are K-12 classroom teachers and K-12 certified staff, membership also includes educational support professionals, higher education faculty members, students enrolled in teacher education programs, as well as retired educators.
The WEA is a state affiliate of the National Education Association (NEA) and the Association includes 21 regional offices and 375 locally affiliated associations.
WEA’s organizational objectives include:
- Increase WEA members’ and employees’ professional status and job satisfaction.
- Improve the quality of and access to public education for all students.
- Promote a just and inclusive society with respect for the worth, dignity, and equality of every individual.
- End institutionalized racism and bias in public education.
- Increase the participation of individuals from historically underrepresented groups in all aspects of WEA activities.
- Forge partnerships with parents, businesses, other unions, and community groups.
ABOUT FEDERAL WAY WASHINGTON:
Federal Way is a coastal city within the Seattle metropolitan area that is filled with opportunity, city growth, parks, wetlands, nature, and culture. Being in close proximity to Seattle, a world class city, the region offers many attractions and leads as one of the most diverse cities and communities in Washington State.
Federal Way is known for its wonderful mild, warm (but not hot) summer weather and lower cost of living than many other Seattle neighborhoods and areas. Today, the Federal Way community is residential and commercial with a population employed locally and in neighboring cities such as Sea Tac, Kent, Tacoma, Bellevue and Seattle. In addition, there are also many neighboring cities and neighborhoods a short commute away from Federal Way that offer a wide variety of communities.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller is a leader within the organization who publicly embraces and represents the mission, values, and goals of the Washington Education Association and its various stakeholders. Overseeing an annual budget of $49M, the Controller will work closely with various internal and external partners while creating, implementing, and maintaining financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Establish and maintain accounting policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
- Document process flows for audit and training purposes.
- Create consistent and transparent accounting practices while optimizing efficiencies for staff, leadership, and members.
- Oversee financial and expense reporting, payroll, and accounts payable.
- Partner with external auditors; coordinate and manage a demanding audit schedule.
- Continue ensuring strong banking relationships.
- Assess the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting databases.
- Ensure legal compliance, as well as rules and regulations, are met at both the state and federal levels.
- Evaluate current accounting operations and offer recommendations for improvement and modernization.
- Act as a subject matter expert and implement new processes to streamline the accounting department and increase operational efficiencies.
- CPA with 5+ years of Controller experience.
- 10+ years of accounting and finance leadership expertise with proven experience supporting a large and politically diverse organization.
- A genuine passion and deep appreciation for the mission of the Washington Education Association.
- A strong commitment to racial and social justice.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or another related discipline.
- Master’s degree in business administration (MBA) preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in building, motivating, and retaining high-performance teams.
- Knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Familiarity with unions and labor management is highly preferred.
- Experience with LMDRA reporting requirements (Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959, as amended) is a plus.
- Ability to effectively interface with internal and external parties at all levels.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This amazing, full-time opportunity offers the ability to make a significant impact on behalf of Washington educators as well as the statewide community. This exciting role offers a base salary of $109,000 - $155,000, in addition to an exceptional full benefits and retirement package. Benefit plan includes a comprehensive group health insurance package paid for the individual and family (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, and life insurance); 401(k) plan in which the Association invests 9% on top of your contributions; defined benefit pension plan, generous vacation, sick, and holiday pay; Short- and Long-Term Disability, employee life insurance, AD&D insurance; and other perks! This is an opportunity, position, and mission that will inspire you daily!
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS:
WEA has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, in Microsoft Word format, via https://www.scionstaffing.com/job/6693.
Please address applications to:
Elizabeth Crimmins, Senior Executive Recruiter
Scion Executive Search
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
WEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity and equity in all facets of the Association’s work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
ABOUT OUR FIRM:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership to benefit your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission! Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches; information on our firm is available online for review via http://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.