Community Program Coordinator, Africana and Latin American Studies Program
Requisition Number: 2023S042Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Division: Dean of the Faculty
The Africana and Latin American Studies (ALST) Program at Colgate University is an interdisciplinary program dedicated to the histories and cultures of African Americans and the peoples of Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean. The Community Program Coordinator will play a major role in organizing cultural and educational events in these areas throughout the year, working with campus partners, faculty affiliated with the Program and with African, African American, Caribbean, and Latinx student groups on campus. As one of the nation’s top twenty liberal-arts colleges, Colgate University attracts a dynamic and intellectually engaged student body.
This position is primarily responsible for coordinating programming initiatives, assisting in the administration of its academic activities, and facilitating communications with program constituents. The person filling the position will be accountable for the following:
- ensuring that students have access to opportunities for student group membership and leadership and that they receive value as a result of their participation in the community;
- encouraging students to achieve a sense of responsibility for their personal growth and academic success;
- effective outreach to students through personal interaction and various media;
- applying knowledge of campus life area to the development and execution of programs that align with and foster the development of students within program areas. Ensures effective and responsible execution of these programs;
- developing and sharing knowledge about campus life area and University policies and procedures;
- effective management of logistics for event and programs including accurate capture and maintenance of records and program data;
- generating ideas for program execution;
- assessing and making appropriate judgements in cases of emergencies;
- as required, effectively supervising students;
- coordinating the daily operations of academic programs, including maintaining department records, analyzing data, preparing reports, maintaining websites, monitoring department budgets, planning and executing events, and supervising student workers;
- may be responsible for the timely and efficient execution of special projects, additional activities, committees and other work unique to the department, division or function, as assigned.
- Self-starter with capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to organize and coordinate multiple projects, tasks and priorities simultaneously.
- A service-oriented mindset to include a positive attitude, follow through, and problem-solving.
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills and taking on new assignments and challenges.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills and a high regard for detail.
- Proficiency with office productivity tools, such as Google Workspace (especially Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar) and/or Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel).
- Discretion to manage confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to interact in a collegial manner with a culturally diverse group of faculty, staff, and students.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
An Associate’s degree and comparable experience will be considered.
12 months, Monday- Friday, 37.5hrs/week.Flexibility with occasional evenings and weekends.Availability to travel occasionally.
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
Please add a diversity statement to your cover letter.
Colgate values the individual and intersectional diversity of its student, faculty, staff, and alumni populations representing a variety of abilities, races, gender identities, religion, social economic status, sexual orientations, languages, and national origins. Our https://www.colgate.edu/about/third-century-plan/plan-diversity-equity-and-inclusion presents a framework for continuing the creation of an inclusive campus and engaging the Colgate community in this effort in the years ahead. Please describe how you would connect and work with a diverse community. The statement can be any length (e.g. paragraph or page). You can add the statement to your cover letter. For information on how to write a diversity statement, see our https://www.colgate.edu/sites/default/files/2021-06/Some-Guidance-on-Crafting-Diversity-Statements-Colgate.pdf
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at email@example.com. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: https://www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://apptrkr.com/4251956
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.