The Melville Charitable Trust is the largest foundation in the United States exclusively devoted to ending homelessness. We are seeking a passionate and experienced communications professional to join our team.
About the position
The Trust is seeking a Communications Manager to support our efforts to:
- Collaborate with a growing network of individuals and groups to serve as a catalytic grantmaker, convener, and national voice in the fields of housing and homelessness
- Change public thinking about the ways to consider and end homelessness
- Enhance and lift up the work of the Trust and our grantees
The Communications Manager will report to the Vice President of Programs and work closely with senior staff. This part-time (30 hour per week) position is based in New Haven with periodic local travel to meetings and events in Hartford and Boston and to national events and conferences.
The role includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Grow external Trust presence and voice and bring greater visibility to the Trust’s point of view via the development of op-eds, blog posts, social media, videos, etc.
- Hold and manage the Trust’s brand
- Help shape narratives to widen public understanding of homelessness and support for solutions
- Work closely with Trust staff to develop blog posts and materials for events and presentations; provide overall communications guidance to staff and board
- Author/co-author content for website including features, case studies, posts, other relevant updates
- Manage website content management system (WordPress)
- Plan and develop content for quarterly e-newsletter and online bi-annual report
- Manage the Trust’s social media presence to spread awareness of the Trust’s mission and current work
- Collaborate with and promote the work of our grantee partners through social media
- Serve as lead point person for media interactions and support staff responses to media inquiries
- Plan for placements of Trust content through grantee partners, funder partners, and media sources, specifically philanthropy, housing/homelessness, and general news
- Work with selected grantee partners on an as-needed project basis to enhance their communications
- Oversee external vendors, including graphic designers, printers, photographers, writers, and videographers, as required.
- A minimum of 10 years of marketing or communications experience, ideally in the foundation or nonprofit sector
- Strong writing, editing and verbal communication skills, with a portfolio of writing samples and products
- Excellent project management skills with strong attention to detail and ability to complete tasks to deadline
- Strategic and creative thinker, with the confidence to introduce new perspectives and approaches to challenges and assigned projects
- Problem-solver, willing to ask necessary questions, be proactive
- Comfort working independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills with enthusiasm and ability to interact with a wide variety of people both internally and externally
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing marketing and communications projects with outside vendors and consultants
- Experience and proficiency with online tools such as: WordPress, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Canva (or Adobe Creative Suite), and Salesforce is essential
- Basic HTML and graphic design skills are a plus
- Familiarity with the housing and homelessness field is a plus
The Melville Trust is an equal opportunity employer and candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We offer an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with experience.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter explaining how your skills fit this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.