Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Background: The Donors of Color Network is the first-ever cross-racial community of high net wealth donors and movement leaders committed to building the collective power of people of color to achieve racial equity. The Network launched in March 2019 and is building our team.
Basic Function: The Communications Manager is a new position responsible for co-developing and leading the internal and external communications work of the Donors of Color Network. The Communications Manager is a clear, direct, highly-motivated person with at least two years of communications experience. The Communications Manager will be responsible for effective and exciting internal communications to our members as well as external communications and social media that strengthen our brand and improve the visibility of the Network. The Communications Manager will ensure that all communications from Donors of Color Network are values aligned, and build our presence, reputation and mission.
The primary responsibilities of the Communications Manager will include:
STRATEGY & BRAND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop and execute on the Donors of Color Network’s internal communications to communicate with our members and important stake-holders about our program and impact
- Lead the strategy to implement and promote Donors of Color Network’s brand in all communications and marketing
- Develop collateral and resources to support a consistent brand and voice in all of Donors of Color Network’s communications
- Build relationships with media, vendors, and other organizations
- Work with leadership to identify media opportunities and implement campaigns around key programs and issues
- Serve as primary media contact and manage press outreach, inquiries, visits, and interviews
- Lead and manage all communications projects (e.g. editorial calendar, campaigns, branding initiatives, etc.), including setting timelines, assigning roles, facilitating meetings, and liaising with external consultants as needed
- Lead communications strategies on any internal communications strategies
- Work with the team to create strategic marketing campaigns; develop analytics to measure success and continually find ways to improve on those metrics through testing and new initiatives
- Work with leadership to identify challenges and solutions to move organization-wide communications initiatives forward
CONTENT CREATION & MANAGEMENT
- Manage and support creation of all print and electronic materials, including: monthly newsletters for Donors of Color Network and Donors of Color Action; regular program emails; templates, and other visuals of Donors of Color Network’s work; and event announcements
- Manage Donors of Color Network’s social media presence, including content creation and reporting on data and trends
- Manage Donors of Color Network’s and Donors of Color Action’s website, including content updates related to programming and events
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of communications activities, engagement levels, and progress
Assist with other internal and external communications duties as needed
Skills & Experience
- Strong and expressive writing
- Ability to task manage a project from beginning to end
- Basic design skills and ability to work with a designer towards fully professional presentations, newsletters, and reports
- Demonstrated experience with project management involving other team members
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with online marketing tools, social media platforms, and publishing software
- Experience with email campaign management
- Experience with email automation, Airtable and WordPress are a plus
- Previous communications experience preferred
- Demonstrated interest in Donors of Color Network’s mission
- Excellent time and task management
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively independently
- Demonstrated success working in a team and developing effective working relationships with various programs
- Ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities and successfully work on multiple projects at once
- Commitment to organizational and personal growth on issues of inclusion and racial equity
- Integrity, confidentiality, and discretion
- Sense of humor a plus
SALARY: $65-75k depending on experience. Excellent working environment and generous benefits (health insurance, dental, vision, vacation, sick, holidays).
HIRING PRACTICES: Donors of Color Network is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace applicants with diverse actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, including self-identified or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, transgender status, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, domestic violence victim status, credit history, unemployment status, veteran status, protected activity, uniformed service or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS: This is a full-time position, starting immediately. Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and an example of any designed final product you have created to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use subject line: “DOC - Communications Manager”. No phone calls please. Candidates will be notified if we are seeking an interview. Because of the high volume of responses we receive, it may not be possible to respond to all inquiries.
Prior to offer, candidates must complete up to two interviews, provide written material and may be asked to complete a practical assessment. Interviews may include multiple staff members. Please inform Donors of Color Network within a reasonable time period prior to the interview of any reasonable accommodation needed.