The Quad Preparatory School
Chief Operating Officer
Reports to: Founder and Head of School
The Quad Preparatory School is an alternative, non-profit, K-12 college preparatory school dedicated to the education of twice-exceptional students, bright and creative children who learn differently. Quad Prep is a young, fast-growing school founded in 2013 that is a vibrant professional and collegial learning community for employees.
The Quad Preparatory School transforms the lives of twice-exceptional people – those who are gifted and learn differently – by redefining the experience of school. Our personalized model fully integrates social and emotional learning with challenging academics, empowering our students to rise to the level of their extraordinary talents. Through our innovative programs we are leading a larger movement in service of both twice-exceptional people and society at large.
Our teachers, clinicians, and staff joined together to craft our statement of values, which we are proud to share:
- Quad Prep is a kind and joyful learning community where everyone is celebrated for who they are.
- We ignite students’ strengths and passions and allow for safe academic pursuit at the highest levels by learning from mistakes.
- We are trustworthy and steadfast, and our high academic expectations challenge students to grow uniquely as people and in the way they learn.
- We widen our students’ perspectives, giving them the tools to know themselves and find success in the future of their choosing.
- We never give up on each other and are driven by the ethos of “not if, but how.”
As Quad Prep is rooted in the community of New York City, we commit, as a matter of justice and equity, that we shall work toward enrolling a student body and employing a staff that fully reflects the makeup of our community.
As education at Quad Prep is rooted in the idea that our neurodiverse students are to be proudly celebrated for their unique talents and potential, we commit that the whole self of every individual student, parent, and staff member shall be welcomed, valued, included, and treated always with the deepest respect and empathy.
And, as at Quad Prep our community is a single fabric supporting the development of all, we commit that every student shall benefit from the richness of the backgrounds and experiences that make up that fabric, so that they leave Quad fully prepared to engage with the exciting and wonderful diversity of this world.
The Quad Preparatory School is looking for a Chief Operating Officer. Duties include:
- Serve as a thought partner and strategic advisor to Founder, standing in on meetings and providing analysis, recommendations, and options to Founder for high impact decisions, and following up on action items with the team accordingly.
- Provide counsel, research, and thought partnership for emerging projects/projects in formulation.
- Acts as an extension of the Founder and information funnel, filter, and facilitator with internal and external stakeholders.
- Track high priority initiatives for the Founder to identify any/potential obstacles.
- Lead cross-functional strategic initiatives, facilitate special projects, and ensure action items are executed on behalf of the Founder.
- Partner with ETEAM regarding operations of the executive office.
- Build and run cadence for leadership meetings, board meetings, and leadership offsites, including structuring and helping to deliver company-wide communication.
- Operate at a tactical, strategic, and operational level, handling the oversight of projects that do not neatly fit within the organizational chart or that fall between departments or leadership areas of responsibility.
- Manage the Founder's brand & reputation.
- Act as the point of contact for the Founder's direct reports. As needed, triage all incoming requests for the executive's time.
- Support management of Board of Directors, including official communications, facilitating board and committee meetings, recordkeeping, and ensuring compliance with Quad Prep's bylaws.
- Maintain and keep current all documents, filings, and other reports as related to NYS and Federal charters, tax exemptions, and registrations.
Finance and Accounting
- Work in concert with the CFO and members of the finance team to ensure the financial well-being of the organization through sound fiscal management.
- Partner with CFO to manage the annual budgeting process with an emphasis on collaborating with budget holders, transparency, wise and financially sound investments of resources and development of new revenue sources, performance reporting, and accountability.
- Partner with the CFO to ensure compliance with all regulatory reporting requirements; a strong environment of financial and process controls; an effective and timely management reporting environment to support decision making along with the finance and accounting's fiduciary responsibilities provide service to support the needs of the rest of the organization.
- Partner with CFO to provide and simplify financial presentations for the Board and external stakeholders.
- Work in concert with the finance department to anticipate and plan for the program's capacity to meet the financial needs of the organization via cash flow forecasting.
Student Enrollment and Tuition Accounts Receivables Management
- Formulates forward-thinking, strategic application of enrollment policies.
- Oversees enrollment of new and returning students.
- Maintains family, faculty and various other databases.
- Oversees all Tuition Accounts Receivable and prepares monthly reports for Founder and Head of School and Board.
- Drives the timely collection of tuition from old and returning families.
- Researches and proposes ideas to increase timely tuition payments and reduce financial risk.
- Communicate with parents, attorneys, outside providers and all school constituents with the goal of exemplary customer service.
- Support diversity, equity, inclusion, collaboration, and cross-organizational communication to ensure a culture that is mission driven, exemplary, flexible, responsive, and resilient.
- Support opportunities for meaningful staff engagement and feedback.
- Support mechanisms for staff and peer recognition and support.
- Support an organizational “coaching” culture to enhance development opportunities for Quad Prep staff and management.
- Oversee full recruitment cycle, ensuring Quad Prep's values and culture are represented in all candidate interactions.
- Oversee staff onboarding process, procedures and materials.
- Oversee human resources functions to enhance organization alignment, training, employee development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation, recruiting and onboarding.
- Periodically review compensation and benefits philosophy periodically to ensure our “people objectives” are being met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Facilitate professional development opportunities for administrative staff.
Facilities Management and Operations
- Maintain and improve a facilities maintenance and upgrade program that ensures adequate facilities for the delivery of all Quad Prep's programs and services.
- Oversee compliance with all security life-safety requirements, including drills and staff trainings.
- Utilize professional resources to maintain the highest levels of security and safety, in coordination with Quad Prep's leadership.
- Act as primary point of contact for landlord, and external vendors as needed.
- Evaluate and upgrade current purchasing staff, processes, establish policy and the required processes and systems to support the procurement policies of the organization.
Legal and Risk Management
- Oversee Quad Prep's risk management program, including ongoing management of insurance coverage.
- Partner as needed with external counsel for legal matters affecting the organization, including employment law, intellectual property, data protection, real estate, government relations, regulatory compliance and contract administration.
- Ensures school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, charter contracts, state education mandates, teacher certification, and all federal and state workplace regulations.
Supervise School Nurse.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is dependent upon experience and degree obtained.
At Quad Prep you’ll have access to a full range of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage; pre-tax transit and dependent care accounts; a 401K match and student loan repayment contributions (after one year of employment); and a range of professional development opportunities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of ten years of experience with prior experience in a nonprofit or educational setting a plus. We are willing to train a candidate who comes with strong leadership, management, business, and operational skills/experience from another industry.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree strongly desired.
- Proven strong judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to balance the successful delivery of quality programs against the realities of a budget.
- Experience in creating protocols and streamlining processes that will help ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Experience leading, inspiring, and persuading others across the organization to new levels of effectiveness and operational impact.
- Ability to prioritize shifting responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, families, and other stakeholders.
- The ability to write with simplicity, clarity, and succinctness.
AAP/EEO Statement: The Quad Preparatory School is based on an inclusive philosophy that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, familial status, citizenship, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law in its hiring procedures and policies.
How To Apply
To apply, visit: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/10791-the-quad-preparatory-school/jobs/47409-chief-operating-officer