ABOUT KENNETH RAININ FOUNDATION
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is a family foundation that collaborates with creative thinkers in the Arts, Education, and Health. Founded in 2007, the organization believes in taking smart risks to achieve breakthroughs. It supports visionary artists in the Bay Area, creates opportunities for Oakland’s youngest learners, and funds researchers on the forefront of scientific discoveries to cure chronic disease. As such, the foundation acts as a catalyst for exploring new ideas that enhance life.
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation embodies an unusual combination of the strategic and creative. While it engages in its three diverse program areas with a focus on long-term growth, it also allows for the innovation of its program staff to pursue the greatest possible paths to impact in their respective areas of expertise. The result is a developing culture that is both unified and intentional.
ABOUT THE CFO OPPORTUNITY
This is an opportunity to work at an organization that has the highest possible standards of financial discipline, married to passion, understanding, and excitement for impact and change. Reporting to the CEO, this executive will possess ample experience in the foundation setting, and will flawlessly manage financial aspects of the organization while working collaboratively and tactfully with the department directors and officers.
With a focus on strategic growth, the CFO will provide financial leadership and act as a unifier, forging a strong relationship between Programs and Finance. S/he will engage the finance team in the foundation’s greater mission and purpose, and guide the program team toward greater impact, all while maintaining a solid financial perspective. This offers an incredible chance to help steer the Kenneth Rainin Foundation through its next phase of growth and to enhance the lives of the Bay Area community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Management & Oversight
- Maintain financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of funds
- Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly / annual financial reports
- Oversee budgeting, forecasting, and cash flow, and set accounting controls
- Hire, manage, and retain support staff as needed
- Coordinate all audit/tax activities
- Ensure the Foundation is financially compliant and coordinated with the activities of Rainin Group LLC
Institutional Leadership & Management
- Lead and manage the staff of the Finance Department
- Partner with CEO on organizational decision-making as an integral member of the senior leadership team
- Partner with CEO on the organization’s administrative processes - including HR, payroll, and benefits functions. Evaluate and oversee all benefits functions.
- Contract negotiation as needed (KRF Lease, Tenant Lease, outside contractors, benefits)
Organizational Strategy & Partnership
- Participate with ongoing strategic planning and capacity building processes as an integral member of the senior leadership team and in collaboration with all departments
- Partner with Chief Program Officer to ensure financial alignment with programming and grantmaking efforts. Support and advise in terms of financial sustainability and growth.
- Maintain coordination with Chief Investment Officer and awareness of investing activities of Rainin Group, LLC as they relate to the Kenneth Rainin Foundation
- Promote and embrace the Foundation’s core values:
- Collaboration: Believing that synergistic connections will strengthen the work of the Foundation and the impact we have on society.
- Leveraging of all assets: Providing grantees and partners with resources, ideas and challenges so they may thrive.
- Innovation: Rewarding creative and risk-taking thinking and individuals.
- Responsibility: Considering the social and environmental implications of our practices and those of our partners.
- Equity: Approaching all dealings with honesty and fairness.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics and competencies:
- Experience with financial management in a foundation setting; fluency with most aspects of grantmaking
- Minimum of 10 years accounting experience with at least five years in a managerial role; public accounting and small business experience preferred
- BA/BS in accounting and CPA is required; MBA is a plus. Strong knowledge in Account Reconciliation, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll Processes, etc.
- Technical and comprehensive knowledge of all finance, financial planning, accounting, and tax areas of a business including an excellent understanding of GAAP
- Experience with selecting and implementing account systems
- Must have strong customer support orientation and ability to favorably represent the organization to external audiences
- Ability to perform all duties with compassion, respect, humor and joy
This is a full-time position with benefits. The salary range for this position is highly competitive with the industry and commensurate with relevant skills and experience.
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such complies with federal, state, and/or local laws that prohibit discrimination in employment based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizen or intending citizen status, disability, and veteran status. Information provided during the application or employment process will not be used to discriminate against any individual in any manner. The Company complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
How To Apply
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link.
Please refrain from contacting the Kenneth Rainin Foundation directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at KRF-CFO@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.