About Moonshot edVentures
Leading the education revolution in Metro Denver, a region historically known for progressive change and innovation, Moonshot edVentures envisions a learner-centered system, led by individuals who share and empathize with the experience of the students and communities they aim to serve, where all children become learners who persist through life and meaningfully contribute to their communities. Moonshot is realizing its vision by surfacing and supporting a diverse pipeline of leaders to design and launch the learning environments of tomorrow.
Moonshot originated with the Moonshot Fellowship, a part-time program that allows individuals to explore designing and launching a new learning environment, such as a new school or community-based program. The organization’s three-stage program focuses on leadership development, including designing and piloting each Fellow’s learning environments alongside communities; identifying and supporting Fellows on the best pathway to launch; connections to local and national networks; and doing this work alongside like-minded individuals.
In addition to the Fellowship, Moonshot also runs programs, following its Fellowship, that provide additional coaching and development for future school-launchers. Learn more here about Moonshot edVentures and what makes it unique and unafraid of the impossible.
About the Chief Executive Officer Opportunity
Moonshot edVentures is a financially strong and sound organization, made up of a passionate and committed team, diverse and talented fellows, and alumni, all of whom are poised for continuing to evolve Moonshot’s revolution. The organization is prepared for its next phases of impact in Metro Denver’s ever-changing education landscape and potential to expand to a national level. The incoming CEO will have the opportunity, with the full support of the Board of Directors, to build upon Moonshot’s rapid growth, solid funding and supporter base, and a diverse regional network, while leading an extraordinarily talented team of staff members, Fellows, and program alumni, rallying them around a compelling shared vision for the organization’s next strategic chapter.
Areas of Leadership:
- Lead with diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at the forefront: Build organizational and individual credibility at the intersections of Moonshot edVentures’ education and community programming by consistently leading, both internally and externally/publicly, through a racial equity and justice lens.
- Develop and drive a clear vision for the next chapter of the organization: Set a clear vision and direction that moves Moonshot edVentures beyond “startup” to its next level of impact within the Denver region and nationally.
- Ensure the overall strength and financial sustainability of the organization: Working with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization’s community, determine Moonshot edVentures’ next levels of impact, structure, and growth; building on the organization’s fundraising success, consider the right programming scope, fundraising, and sustainability strategy, capacity-building plan, and build on the organization’s key strengths.
- Build and foster new and existing networks: Create authentic and strategic relationships - internal and external to Moonshot edVentures’ community - among staff, alumni, Board, across greater Metro-Denver and among national stakeholders and partners that honor the organization’s historic roots and legacy.
- Prioritize growth and development through an entrepreneurial mindset: Build a culture of leadership among Moonshot edVentures’ staff, fellows, and alumni that acknowledges start-up and philanthropic realities, challenges, and setbacks, particularly within white, normative systems and structures. Model and promote growth, learning, and creativity, and a deep and evolving understanding of personal leadership identities. Invest in self/personal development, seeking opportunities to improve through coaching and practice. Embrace challenge and ambiguity as opportunities to grow and develop creative solutions.
The Chief Executive Officer role is ideal for a mission-driven, equity-focused leader who has grown and scaled an organization for long-term success. Our ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial leader that can lead across lines of difference, through partnerships, all while staying true to the organization’s vision and direction, and to their personal values. Specific qualifications include:
- Mission & Values Alignment: Deep belief in Moonshot edVentures’ mission, racial and social justice, and the ability of students of color to excel and succeed.
- Organizational & Entrepreneurial Leadership: Inclusive leader with a track record of setting clear vision and direction to successfully scale organizations through growth and evolution. Experience growing an organization or program model from local/regional impact to national scale. Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset and ability to lead and learn courageously in the face of challenges. Proven ability to rally and develop teams around a vision and expertly manage change.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Leadership: Demonstrated effectiveness in anti-racist analysis and practices. Experience examining and dismantling structures of oppression, white supremacy culture, and bias at a systems level. Leadership practice that actively centers equity and inclusivity in management, coaching and development, and decision making.
- Relationship Building, Collaboration & Development: Ability to manage, coach, and develop a high-performing team of leaders within a growing organization while also prioritizing the development of sustainable, self-care practices among team members and fellows. Proven ability to build authentic, deep, and abiding relationships across multiple networks and lines of difference. Track record of building relationships with donors, supporters, stakeholders, and Boards of Directors.
- Fundraising & Financial Management Abilities: Proven ability to build an enduring and evolving donor and supporter base, of both institutions and individuals. Capable of designing, implementing and supporting financially sustainable programs, business models, and complex budgets.
- Leadership Within the Education Ecosystem: Understanding of and experience in an education-related setting (e.g., school, district, charter network, community program, etc.); specific understanding of the history and current educational landscape, including professional networks in Metro Denver highly preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Moonshot edVentures is committed to equitable and transparent salaries. The compensation range for this position is $150,000 - 175,000. Moonshot also offers a comprehensive compensation package, including a 100% employer matching 401(k) plan up to the first 3% of pay; comprehensive healthcare coverage that includes medical, dental, vision; and generous time off, including sick and personal time and parental leave.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Moonshot edVentures, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, pregnancy, age, or citizenship status, marital status, hairstyle, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
The CEO has overall responsibility for this policy and maintains reporting and monitoring procedures. Employees’ questions or concerns should be referred to their immediate supervisor or the CEO. If an employee believes the CEO has violated this policy, that employee should communicate such concern to the board of directors.
Appropriate disciplinary action may be taken against any employee willfully violating this policy.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter using this link.