Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct a search for the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Project HEAL, a cutting edge national nonprofit with the mission of helping people with eating disorders to access care and support at all stages of recovery. We are seeking a visionary CEO highly experienced in strategic planning and growth, skilled in development and with a strong passion for the Project HEAL mission and grassroots organizing. This full-time permanent position is for immediate hire and is a remote opportunity; this role can be located anywhere in the continental United States that is near a major transportation hub.
ABOUT PROJECT HEAL:
Did you know that 30 million individuals in the United States currently experience an eating disorder? And that eating disorders have the second highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder (next to opioid addiction)? Did you know that upwards of 70% of individuals battling an eating disorder don’t receive treatment, and even for those who do, care is often ineffective?
In 2008, Liana Rosenman and Kristina Saffran founded Project HEAL to raise funds for others who could not otherwise afford treatment. Since then, Project HEAL has grown rapidly to become a leader in education, advocacy, and programming in the eating disorder space. Project HEAL works under the belief that full recovery is possible and strives to help individuals achieve recovery through two core programs: “Communities of HEALing” – a specialized one-on-one mentorship and peer support program – and “Treatment Access Program” – an advocacy program to help beneficiaries utilize the insurance coverage they are entitled to and then access financial support when coverage is exhausted. In 2019, Project HEAL partnered with The Kennedy Forum to build a model mental health parity enforcement program. Project HEAL continually seeks new knowledge and understanding of eating disorder recovery from both leading experts in academic research and the first-hand experience of the organization’s networks, making Project HEAL an innovative leader in the eating disorder space.
With a greater than $1 million annual budget and a staff of 9, Project HEAL is seeking its next CEO to pave the future of the organization.
Project HEAL is at an exciting juncture in its development; in the last two years, as a result of a refined mission and vision, the organization has grown rapidly in funding, staff and programming. In this next phase, the Board and Executive Leadership is looking to the CEO to establish a concrete strategic plan and vision for the coming years, provide strategic management and leadership over programming and staff and continue growing the organization in funds to firmly establish it as a continuing leader in the eating disorder space. As head of the organization, the CEO will play a critical role in ensuring the organization’s successful operations and in building its long-term financial stability.
Vital to the CEO’s success will be the ability to engage with various communities and stakeholders – each with varying knowledge of eating disorders – regarding the work of Project HEAL. This often requires teaching others about eating disorders, their impact and the challenges that exist to accessing appropriate care and support.
Key aspects/requirements of this role include:
- Proven experience growing an organization’s funds. Tenacious ability to create new relationships, pitch the current work of the organization, overcome objections and secure funding and support around current programming.
- Ability to define a strategic plan and annual work plans for the organization through obtaining a deep understanding of its history, the landscape of eating disorder work, current programming and the mission/vision currently in place.
- People leadership including deep listening skills, ability to work with and engage various personalities and ability to provide guidance and feedback to support staff growth.
- Proven experience managing a remote team.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Experience in mental health work and/or body positive/body image work.
- A strong passion for the mission of Project HEAL, paired with an openness and sensitivity to learning about eating disorders, including relevant language and terminology.
Strategic vision and leadership
- Collaborate with the board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with Project HEAL's core mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to staff and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for Project HEAL.
- Nurture strong relationships with others in the eating disorder and mental health fields to ensure that we are working in collaboration rather than competition.
- Effectively steward and grow the organization’s $1.3 million budget.
- In collaboration with staff, formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding, and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Help to grow a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
Strengthening programmatic infrastructure and operations
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services while managing for current and future growth.
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by engaging in and overseeing the development of standardized programs, services, and marketing.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization.
- Work with Chief Operations Officer to plan and execute a responsible annual budget.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years of senior management experience.
- Experience in mental health work and/or body positive/body image work. Additionally: a deep passion for Project HEAL's mission.
- Experience growing an organization's budget via fundraising, major donor development and marketing/public relations.
- Track record of effectively growing a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff team.
- Experience managing remote staff.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors.
- Ability to travel 30% of the time to engage communities and stakeholders and conduct development.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This exciting, full-time, remote CEO role offers the ability to make significant impact on behalf of millions of individuals struggling with Eating disorders here in the U.S. This exciting role offers a competitive base salary. Benefits include a lump sum stipend paid in bi-monthly increments to use on the open market for the most relevant, appropriate health care package for you/your family. Other benefits include: 18 PTO days, 12 holidays, and flex time.
This is an opportunity, position and mission that will inspire you daily!
How To Apply
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS:
Project HEAL has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word format via: https://www.scionstaffing.com/jobportal/#/jobs/5809.
Please address applications to:
Rebecca Lerol, Regional Recruitment Manager
Scion Executive Search
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
Project HEAL is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Project HEAL thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
ABOUT OUR FIRM:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at http://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.