Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on behalf of our client, the Parent Institute for Quality Education (PIQE), a nationally recognized parent engagement program serving low-income families in offering access to quality K-12 education to prepare their youth to be career and college ready. This role will commence in the fall of 2018.
This incredible opportunity is full-time and preferred to be based in either San Diego or Los Angeles, CA.
PIQE’s Mission: To provide families with the knowledge and skills to partner with schools and communities to ensure their children achieve their full potential.
PIQE’s Vision: PIQE is dedicated to achieving economic and social equity for all through education.
Founded in 1987, PIQE’s signature program is the “Parent Engagement Education Program,” a nine-week interactive curriculum delivered to parents in their primary language to help them become educational advocates for their children. The nine-week program is school-based and it has been available in in 16 languages. PIQE currently operates 8 offices in California. In addition, PIQE has developed seven other programs: an Early Childhood Development program, a 4-Month Follow-Up Parent Coaches program, a Teacher’s Workshop on Parent/Family Engagement, a STEM program, a Parent Financial Literacy program, a K-3 Family Literacy program, and a Parent Leadership and Civic Engagement program. PIQE has licensed its Best Practices Model in 14 additional states and Mexico City and has gained national recognition for its work as a result. PIQE has licensed its Best Practices Model in 14 additional states and Mexico City and has gained national recognition for its work as a result.
PIQE regularly updates its programs to keep parents informed of any developments in the education system. Concepts in education are the focus of the program, such as understanding the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), the family’s role in literacy development, Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and its accountability systems, the CA Department of Education standardized testing systems, etc.
PIQE has graduated more than 663,000 parents from its Parent Engagement in Education Program in more than 547 school districts throughout California over the last three decades. PIQE’s program is provided at no cost to the parents and held in both mornings and evenings. The schools pay half of the cost of the program and donations and grants cover the balance.
PIQE has several offices located from San Diego County up to the Bay Area.
This is a rare opportunity to lead an established, recognized and successful nonprofit. The CEO shall be responsible to and governed by the Board of Directors, report to and advise the Board on all significant matters of the organization’s operations, and shall see that all policies, orders and resolutions of the Board are carried into effect. The CEO will have the opportunity to work with the Board of Directors, leadership team and regional directors to take PIQE beyond the current capacity to serve more families so that all children are able to succeed in their education and future. The CEO manages all business and operations of PIQE working closely with the statewide management team and serves as an ex-officio under a contract of employment. The CEO shall be empowered to act as the face and voice of the organization. The current PIQE Strategic Plan, with five components, should guide the CEO.
- Organizational & Staff Management
- Execute the policy direction of the Board of Directors.
- Provide inspiring leadership which creates a sense of fellowship and camaraderie amongst the statewide leadership team, regional directors, staff and the Board.
- Conduct the work in close partnership with the statewide leadership team, and as deemed appropriate with the regional executive directors.
- Establish and implement administrative and operating policies and procedures.
- Direct and manage the development, implementation, and analysis of organizational goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each service and program area; establish appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources accordingly.
- Provide general oversight of PIQE programs, services and activities which support the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Plan, direct, manage, review, and inspire the activities and operations of PIQE and related entities.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of PIQE’s service and program delivery methods and procedures.
- Meet with management staff on a regular basis to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and areas of responsibility.
- Select train, motivate, evaluate, and mentor the senior management team.
- Provide and coordinate staff training; implement performance improvement plans and/or termination procedures as needed.
- Monitor and assess staff work load, administrative and support systems, as well as internal reporting relationships.
- Plan, direct, manage and review PIQE’s annual work plan.
- Manage annual staff performance and accountability, as well as the organization’s working climate.
- Recognize and support the leadership roles of the Vice Presidents and Controller to achieve organizational goals, objectives and long-term planning.
- Strategy and Planning
- Lead PIQE with an entrepreneurial outlook and spirit while balancing the need to make educated decisions in line with the mission and vision.
- Develop and execute strategy within the context of the city, state, and national landscape as to PIQE’s program offerings, partnerships, and funding source creation.
- Foster new ideas and initiatives; apply innovative thinking and performance measurements to analyze and support strategic decision-making.
- Inspire and gain Board approval, participation, and support of strategic plans.
- Engage with the Board of Directors to ensure that the organizational strategic plan continues to advance the organization’s mission.
- Lead strategy discussions as needed for Board approval and propose refined, actionable items (plans) that should be voted on, adopted, and/or embraced by the Board.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of education, K-IHE, diverse communities and nonprofit agency administration.
- Board Liaison and Reporting
- Maintain regular and ongoing communication and relationships with the entire Board; provide leadership and support to members at all times.
- Attend all quarterly Board meetings and provide reports and updates on staff as well as all current work, project timelines, and project and organizational progress.
- Implement Board policies and procedures and build support for Board decisions amongst staff.
- Support and advise the Board members on their work; identifying the organization's needs and making strategic recommendations on the organization’s sustainability
- Fiscal Oversight
- Oversee the established finance system working closely with the Controller and with the VP of Operations.
- Supervise the development and administration of the annual budget, with Board approval.
- Prudently assist in managing resources and all financials within established budget guidelines (and in accordance with current laws and regulations).
- Oversee the negotiation of contracts and solutions for a variety of administrative, fiscal and special projects.
- External Relations and Communications
- Lead outreach and community relations efforts at the local, regional, state, and national levels in a concerted effort to promote the organization’s mission and programs in a consistent and positive manner.
- Meet with foundation and corporate sponsors including the 23 CSU Presidents annually or more often as deemed appropriate.
- Visit regional offices and school partners on a regular basis.
- Serve as a PIQE representative to elected officials and outside agencies.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings or conferences directly related to the work of the organization.
- Fundraising and Partnerships
- Adapt to changing organizational needs and create new funding sources including state and national funding from corporate, foundation and public entities.
- Direct regional funding efforts in tandem with regional Executive Directors.
- Drive strategic development and the creation of partnerships to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop organizational strategy and infrastructure implementation to suitably support sustainability and effectively anticipate future funding changes.
- Ensure organizational compliance with program grants, and state and federal laws and regulations.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in a nonprofit or educational setting, with at least 7 years of leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Bi-literacy proficiency in English/Spanish is highly preferred.
- Ability to be a strong storyteller for and about PIQE and our families.
- A demonstrable fundraising track record at the local, regional, state, and national level.
- A record of professional achievement in working with foundations, educational groups and/or nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership with community organizations or in public school settings at the district, county, state and national levels.
- Experience working with ethnically and linguistically diverse school community organizations and public school systems.
- Experience managing budgets, staff performance and accountability while also maintaining an organizational climate.
- Board management experience.
- Strategic vision and ability: the ability to think strategically, anticipate future environments and trends, and incorporate them into the annual organizational plan.
- Demonstrated skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the talents of each organizational member to actualize the organizations mission.
- Ability to travel across the state of California to program and partner sites, and nationally for additional events or conferences.
Salary and Benefits
This wonderful opportunity offers the ability to make significant impact in the parent engagement arena of education in California and across the nation. Additionally, this position offers a strong base salary, a package of benefits, and a tremendous team oriented atmosphere that is both positive and rewarding.
Compensation includes: a competitive base salary of $110-140k (depending on experience), partially paid health care benefits, annual auto allowance of up to $10k, 503B plan, sick time, paid vacation, plus 2 weeks off in December, and paid holidays.
About our Firm
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Cultivated in the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and experience can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief. We are committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
How To Apply
How to Apply
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct this search. For immediate consideration please send your cover letter, full curriculum resume, three letters of recommendation, and a list of professional references*** in a WORD.docx format to Scion Executive Search via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Braden Busch, Managing Partner using the subject title: “PIQE CEO SEARCH.” ***References will not be contacted unless you are selected to interview and move forward in the latter stages of the process.