The Marin Senior Coordinating Council, dba Whistlestop, (www.whistlestop.org), is one of the leading community based nonprofit service organizations in Northern California. Founded 66 years ago, the organization prides itself on its responsiveness and its ability to evolve to meet the growing and changing needs of the communities it serves in Marin, San Francisco, and Sonoma counties. Whistlestop’s vision is to ensure that every adult has the opportunity to age with independence, dignity, and grace. The organization provides essential support services such as specialized transportation, nutrition, social connection, and information and assistance delivered through the power of human connection to a diverse population. In addition to serving the needs of older adults and individuals with disabilities, Whistlestop’s services are expanding to include other vulnerable populations such as those dealing with chronic illnesses, the homeless, and low-income families on MediCal.
Whistlestop seeks an entrepreneurial community leader as its next Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The new CEO will lead the organization through its next phase of geographic growth and expansion, including the opening of a game changing state of the art Healthy Aging campus, a rebranding creative platform launch, and market expansion into the emerging healthcare field. The ideal candidate will leverage their experience and leadership skills to engage the community, inspire staff, volunteers, and Board, increase organizational collaboration with external partners and funders, and exemplify the values and vision of the organization’s culture. With a current annual operating budget of $12 million and support from its executive operations team, the new leader will need to work with all constituents to capitalize on the organization’s legacy and foundation, while guiding Whistlestop through its next stage of evolution.
The next CEO is a gifted communicator who serves as the face of the organization and the voice of a critical population; demonstrating a zeal for the independence, well-being, and quality of life for all clientele.
Core focus areas include:
- Responsible for strategic leadership of the organization including administration, programming, new business development, human resources, fundraising, finances, and strategic planning.
- Effectively delegate to and collaborate with the executive operations team to improve agency efficiency, and staff and organizational capacity.
- Envision, communicate and promote a work environment that functions as a cohesive and supportive team while retaining, supporting and recruiting quality staff and volunteers.
- Identify, assess and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization through regular communication and accurate reporting.
- Work with the Board President in support of the Board’s recruitment strategy, onboarding and development of new board members.
- Work with Board leadership to develop and implement ongoing strategies that foster Board engagement and cohesiveness.
- Ensure appropriate planning for the immediate and long-term impact of COVID-19.
- Work with the Board and executive operations team to complete the initiatives set forth in the current strategic plan, followed by leading the next strategic planning process and vision for future growth.
- Facilitate and lead discussion and deliberation on new opportunities and policymaking that align with the organization’s strategic vision.
- In conjunction with the executive operations team, measure key programming metrics relevant to the field and useful in achieving program excellence.
- Lead the strategic growth planning of Whistlestop; including Board governance and fund development.
Community Engagement/ Collaboration
- Raise awareness of Whistlestop in the community through a robust communications and marketing strategy; serve as spokesperson in the press and through community outreach.
- Create opportunities to regularly engage with clients and their families, volunteers, donors, staff and team members, and the greater community to improve services and generate increased community involvement.
- Cultivate cooperative relationships with a broad range of community sectors and key stakeholders, including government officials, leaders of nonprofit organizations, corporations, foundations, and private philanthropists to promote legislative and regulatory policies that encourage a healthy community.
Financial Management/ Fund Development
- Ensure the agency financial plan aligns with overall vision, strategy, and short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Establish a financial strategy that ensures sustainability, healthy cash flow and adequate reserves.
- Cultivate fiscally sustainable relationships with foundations, corporations, major donors, and prospects, taking a leadership role in developing donor engagement strategies and closing major gifts.
- In partnership with the CFO and COO, oversee contract procurement, implementation and compliance with various government contracts, including expanding current transportation, social services, and healthcare enterprises.
- Prior experience as a CEO or member of the senior leadership team, of a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget greater than $5M.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in a related field, preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressively responsible roles within senior management positions.
- Experience working with older adults and/ or underserved populations, and a key understanding of the changing landscape of services, financing and funding, including the emerging healthcare field in this market, preferred.
- Demonstrated fundraising success with major donors, capital campaigns, foundations and corporate partnerships.
- An entrepreneurial business mindset with a proven track record leading a strategic planning process, resulting in improved efficiency, program expansion, effectiveness, and sustainability of the organizational budget.
- Demonstrated experience in risk management, with an emphasis on addressing strategic and financial implications.
- Demonstrated belief in and a commitment to continued professional growth and development of employees, volunteers and the Board of Directors.
- Ability to lead a sophisticated executive operations team to oversee and collaborate with staff; work with diverse groups of people and a wide range of faiths, beliefs, ages, cultures, and experiences.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Whistlestop offers a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, paid time off, and 403(b). Whistlestop is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Envision Consulting was retained by Whistlestop to conduct the search for their incoming Chief Executive Officer.
How To Apply
APPLY HERE: https://bit.ly/30HWEsw