Are you looking for a rewarding opportunity to assist individuals within the disabilities/senior population in the area of transportation? Do you enjoy working out in the community? We are looking for a dynamic candidate with a certification in orientation and mobility for the visually impaired as well as a background in special education, social work, or a related discipline with public transit experience. Training will be provided.
We are looking for a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist - open to part time, full time or contract work.
Mobility Management Partners, Inc. (MMP) is a non-profit social enterprise company providing services to various public and private agencies. Our mission is to improve access to a variety of transportation options for individuals with disabilities and seniors, with unmet transportation needs. MMP currently provides Travel Training, Call Center services, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Eligibility Certification, and Mobility Device Marking and Tethering services.
MMPs Mobility Training Department is seeking a Travel Trainer in the Chicago area with a certification in Orientation and Mobility (O & M) Instruction. O & M Travel Trainers are responsible for educating individuals with disabilities/visual impairments and seniors how to use public transportation, utilizing both classroom and in-field settings with a focus on individuals with visual impairments. This is a field position where frequent travel is required throughout the area. Bilingual skills in Spanish are preferred.
This position can be part time according to your schedule or full time. We are also open to bringing on an independent contractor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities listed herein are representative of the expectations for this position, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Educate participants with disabilities/seniors to safely utilize public transit resources in a variety of settings.
- Create custom-designed Trainings based on specific visual impairments
- Maintain appropriate professional communications with clients, management and RTA staff.
- Maintain appropriate database entries and other documentation of all travel training activities.
- Provide input and feedback through collaborative processes to enhance and improve existing and assist in implementing new policies and procedures.
- Manage individual schedule as well as schedules of client sessions and events utilizing appropriate scheduling and tracking software solutions and other tools
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Services, Orientation and Mobility Instruction, or a related field, or equivalent work experience required.
- O & M Travel Trainers must be certified by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals, The National Blindness Professional Certification Board, or a similar level organization
- 2 years’ experience working with seniors/individuals with vision disabilities.
- Public Transit Experience required
- Demonstrated experience in interviewing and providing ongoing assessments and documentation skills for individuals with disabilities/seniors/visual impairments
- Knowledge of/sensitivity to general issues and mobility challenges faced by individuals with disabilities/seniors in utilizing public transportation systems
- An understanding of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations and other applicable local, state, and federal laws governing the provision of transportation services to individuals with disabilities
- Bilingual skills preferred- speaking, writing, and reading in English and Spanish
- Valid Illinois driver’s license, vehicle insurance, good driving record and reliable transportation
- Certification in Adult CPR and First Aid (training will be provided)
- Clear background check from criminal and work history and related areas for the role.
- Upon hire, to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status. Reasonable accomodations may be considered.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to be outdoors during inclement weather. The employee must have the ability to react and provide reasonable assistance to participants in the event of an emergency. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, and otherwise transport and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and climb stairs. The employee is required to utilize computer equipment; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, and peripheral vision and depth perception in use of a computer, in driving, and in navigating public transportation systems.
How To Apply
Contact Lori Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 888 667 7003 x519