CodeVA is a thought leader in the K-12 education community, developing and delivering engaging computer science content for both students and teachers. We are a rapidly growing 501c3 based in Richmond, Virginia, but retain our core values that have brought us success. Our commitment is to supporting teachers and students, to building sustainable and collaborative communities, and to employing creativity and problem solving to an evolving and rapidly changing education landscape. We also remain an organization that values a healthy work-life balance, and a practice and belief that recognizes family comes first. Some of our funders include Amazon, Facebook, Capital One, Carmax, the Commonwealth of Virginia, the National Science Foundation, and many more amazing companies, government agencies, and individuals that value the need for a computer science-ready workforce.
We’re looking for a business manager who is well rounded in Finance, GAAP, Federal Grants Administration, Contract Management, and Budget Management. Our finance team is small but mighty, and moves fast on executing improvements to our systems and procedures. As the business manager, you will be a critical part in taking CodeVA and its operation to the next level.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Work with Grant Project Lead to design integrated tools and practices to manage project activities, spending and resource acquisition.
- Implement a digital document acquisition and retention system.
- Convert grant development budgets into internal CodeVA budget format to support project execution.
- Manage grant project spending in accordance with approved project budgets and cash flow – issuing purchase orders, approving spending, etc.
- Manage use of CodeVA existing resources vs. outside resources to ensure the expected portion of grants support the CodeVA operating budget.
- Track grant project expenses and create monthly cost-to-complete projections in collaboration with Project Lead; communicate projection data to the Finance Department.
- Amend grant project budgets as required, incorporating new funding, modified timelines, changed staffing plans, etc.; Seek proper approvals and file amended budget with the Finance Department.
- Ensure that all grant project spending complies with Federal spending rules.
- Approve all grant project expenses prior to payment and ensure that all invoices and other payment authorizations are appropriately coded and are reasonable, allowable and allocable.
- Review and approve all organizational expenses to ensure that all invoices and other payment authorizations are appropriately coded.
- Ensure receipts for all purchases are present and stored appropriately in a digital manner.
- Analyze monthly project statements issued by the Finance Department to ensure all charges to the grant project are correct; request corrections if necessary.
- Act as resource to Project Lead, advising on best application of project funds to accommodate changing project plans.
- Create expense reports as requested by internal or external entities.
- Initiate agreement drafting process for all contractors, vendors and subrecipients and shepherd contracts through from first draft to execution.
- Ensure that all grant project related contracts provide appropriate controls, meet project needs and comply with project timeline and Federal contracting guidelines.
- Acquire and document approval that the required contract deliverables have been accepted, then initiate related payments.
- Working with legal counsel, develop appropriate template agreements and releases for grant project participants that acquire all the services and rights necessary to meet the project outcomes and deliverables.
- Ensure that contracts and releases are executed and digitally retained.
- Establish or work with Finance to maintain a filing system to archive contracts, releases and expense documentation for 7 years beyond the duration of the project.
- Ensure that any IP owned by outside parties that may be incorporated into project materials is cleared for all uses contemplated by the project, including the required Federal uses.
GRANT PROJECT RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Work with CodeVA management to identify space, acquire computers and other resources as needed.
- Ensure that staff have access to digital communication services and devices to support their project tasks.
- Schedule time from CodeVA non-project staff as needed by the project.
- Schedule PD Facilitators and PD hubs and other locations as needed by the project.
- Research sources for outside resources necessary for the grant project; as needed, negotiate to acquire outside resources and initiate agreements with resource vendors.
- Lead the process to ensure teachers and other project participants have access to project online materials and services.
- Strong preference for a candidate with experience managing multiple federal grants.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Business Management or other related fields.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of the latest business policies and regulations.
- Proficient use of Quickbooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Google Apps
- Demonstrable analytical thinking & business insight.
- Detail-oriented self starter with ability to complete tasks with little or no supervision
- A strong commitment to community service, in particular through public education.
Equal Opportunity Employment
At CodeVA we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CodeVA believes that diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Benefits and Salary
Salary range: $50,000 - $60,000, commensurate with experience
CodeVA offers a generous benefits package for full-time employee eligible employees, including 100% company provided health insurance base plan, with an option for employees to upgrade to a platinum plan, fully covered dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave, as well as generous holiday, sick, and vacation pay.
How To Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter to HR@codevirginia.org no later than August 16, 2020. Please indicate “Business Manager Application” in the subject line of your email. Evaluation of submissions will begin immediately. The position will remain open until it is filled. Please no phone calls or in person drop bys.