Where Technology Meets Imagination. The Best Buy Teen Tech Center. The Best Buy Teen Tech Coordinator will be responsible for managing this innovative new program. Established with the support of the global Clubhouse Network, the program offers young people (ages 12 to 18) from inner-city neighborhoods the opportunity to work on projects they find meaningful to their lives, using technology. The program provides support and resources for young people to pursue their interests and build upon their talents. In the Clubhouse, youth can design their own music, art, newsletters, robots, science simulations, computer games, and animation.
KEY ROLES: (Essential Job Responsibilities)
- Create a safe, creative, out of school learning environment while facilitating Best Buy programs.
- Provide community outreach to involve a diverse group of young people, parents, teachers, and community leaders in the Best Buy Teen Tech program. (BBTT)
- Help BBTT members develop projects (e.g., help them come up with ideas, gather materials, get started, locate mentors to work with them, and support their ongoing work).
- Ensure teens are exploring/developing own ideas, new skills and building confidence in themselves using technology.
- Recruit, train, and support volunteer mentors, ensuring they work effectively with youth.
- Support youth in planning for the future, including pursuing academic and job opportunities that leverage their BBTT skills and experience.
- Provide basic computer maintenance, including file management, trouble-shooting, and technical support to BBTT youth and mentors.
- Provide administrative support for the BBTT program, including keeping records of participants and keeping the Clubhouse space organized.
- Assist "parent" organization in fund-raising and publicity for the Clubhouse, communicating Clubhouse philosophy, goals, and results to external sources.
- Participate in the Clubhouse Network, attending Network meetings, sharing ideas and issues, and supporting collaborative projects across Clubhouses.
- Support other programs and activities of the "parent" organization with Clubhouse expertise and resources, as time permits.
- Order supplies and keep track of budget.
- Perform other assignments as requested.
- High school diploma or education equivalent.
- Proven track record working with youth, in particular young people from underserved neighborhoods.
- Work experience in an informal learning environment.
- Experience with computers and interest in technology as a creative and empowering tool.
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to youth, parents, educators, and community leaders.
- Interpersonal skills, including an ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities and a talent for making people feel welcome and included.
- A passion for learning and helping others to learn.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Some travel required.
- If conditional offer is made, you will undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Requires the ability to speak, hear, use a personal computer for standard business communications, and the ability lift up to 15 lbs.
- The ability to travel between locations and attend meetings outside of regular operating hours
FULL-TIME: Mon- Fri - 12:00pm - 8:00pm
SALARY: $45,000 Annually
BGCGW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BGCGW has implemented and are executing the safety protocols set forth by the CDC and other public health organizations for the safety of our staff, members and youth development community
How To Apply
TO APPLY TO THE BEST BUY TEEN TECH COORDINATOR POSITION
Please forward a PDF copy of your cover letter with your resume to Rob Coleman, Branch Director of FBR at firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions concerning the hiring process please put FOUNDATION -BBTTC in Subject line and submit to HR@bgcgw.org
Thank you for your interest in Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington!