We're training a team of transformational school leaders to provide Rhode Island students with the schools they deserve.
The Providence Public School District (PPSD) Leadership Cohort is a two-year, highly selective, building level administrator certification program that prepares aspiring Providence principals for the demands of school leadership. Aimed at top-performing educators who want to become transformational school leaders, the program is designed to offer a one-of-a-kind development experience that ensures our leaders of tomorrow deliver on the promise of educating every student for college or career success. Principal Fellows who demonstrate success during their first year of the program have the opportunity to serve as an Assistant Principal in a PPSD school during their second year, and, upon graduation, earn their Rhode Island Building Level Administrator certification, if they do not already possess it.
The PPSD Leadership Cohort prioritizes hands-on practice and intensive coaching. Once selected, PPSD Leadership Cohort Principal Fellows participate in a required three-week intensive summer institute and will then go on to spend two years serving in PPSD schools where they develop leadership skills through job-embedded training and receive personalized coaching and development from an expert leadership coach. Principal Fellows who successfully demonstrate an ability to cultivate an academic culture and school community that lead to transformational outcomes for students will be put on the fast track to PPSD school leadership.
You can learn more by visiting our website.
Qualifications: PPSD Leadership Cohort is looking for dynamic educators who are ready to meet rigorous standards and raise the bar for excellence for students as a PPSD principal. First and foremost, PPSD Leadership Cohort Principal Fellows must be deeply committed to helping all students succeed, acting with a sense of urgency at all times in their efforts to change student outcomes. They must also have a passion for helping teachers do their best work, and a deep commitment to the students, families and communities of Providence. Those selected in to the program will also demonstrate instructional expertise, strong critical thinking skills, an influential and motivating communication style, a commitment to equity and disrupting inequitable practices, a focus on data-driven problem solving, strong adult leadership skills and an openness to feedback about their own practice as they work to develop the skills needed to make dramatic improvements in instruction and student outcomes in the district. Experience leading other adults is preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of 3 years of documented PK-12 professional experience
- A valid teacher’s certification, either in the state of Rhode Island or in another US state with eligibility to obtain a Rhode Island license if offered a spot in the program
- A Master's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA
- A commitment to learning and growing as an instructional leader
- A commitment to serving students and families in Providence for at least 3 years
- Exemplary communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks based on school performance goals
- Proven track record of success as a teacher
- Ability to work with students and staff and to motivate and engage them in a positive way
What We Offer:
As a Principal Fellow in the PPSD Leadership Cohort, you’ll learn to apply practical strategies to help students and teachers reach their full potential. You’ll benefit from:
- Hands-on training: You will receive valuable professional development, aimed at providing participants with the skills needed to be strong instructional leaders. You will have opportunities to practice the knowledge and skills from the professional development sessions in your school year role.
- Personalized coaching: An experienced leadership coach will work with you every other week throughout your time in the program, giving you goals-based coaching, targeted feedback, and support to help you succeed.
- Community of exceptional, like-minded leaders: You will join a prestigious cohort of transformational leaders who will be equipped to change the game for PPSD students. The PPSD Leadership Cohort will convene for monthly seminars to build knowledge and skills and tackle problems of practice in a safe, intimate environment. With the benefit of real-time feedback, practical guidance, and active practice managing teachers and students, you will develop leadership skills that are directly applicable to success in a Providence Public School.
- Pathway to Certification and the Principalship: We hold a high bar for program success and certification. Principal Fellows who demonstrate an ability to help students succeed will be recommended to apply for school leader positions during their second year. Principal Fellows who do not already possess certification will become eligible to earn their building level administrator certification upon graduation.
- Only qualified candidates will be considered. If you do not have a Master's degree by Spring 2024, a valid teaching certification, and at least three years of PK-12 professional experience, you are not eligible for this position.
How to Apply:
- Visit our website here for more information and the link to complete the application.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Salary ranges from $90k for Fellows without their building level administrator certification to $105k for Fellows who already have their building level administrator certification.
How To Apply
Visit our website here for more information and the link to complete the application.
Website link: https://www.providenceschools.org/Page/5217