About Prosperity Now
Prosperity Now works to build a fair and just economy free from structural inequity and racism -- an economy where everyone can fully participate across their life cycles and low-income individuals and families can prosper without exception. Founded as CFED in 1979, Prosperity Now recently underwent a strategic planning process to refresh its vision, brand, position, and programming model.
The Associate Director of Applied Research will help lead the Prosperity Now Scorecard work as well as conceptualize, develop, and execute a broad range of applied research projects concerning the financial health of low- and moderate-income households. Our successful candidate will have a strong background and successful track record in quantitative analysis. The Associate Director will support the strategic development of the research agenda, develop proposals for new applied research projects, conduct rigorous analyses using large datasets, ensure the rigorous implementation of a range or research tasks, represent the research portfolio in designated engagements, and advise and assist other teams within the organization, as needed.
- Works closely with the Director of Applied Research in the development of Prosperity Now’s research agenda
- Helps lead the strategic development of the Prosperity Now Scorecard work
- Plans, manages, and executes the day-to-day operations of the Prosperity Now Scorecard’s state-level and local-area data products, including: quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis; design and review of statistical models; report and brief writing; dissemination of content and insights; and website design, production and maintenance
- Oversees and performs research in support of Prosperity Now’s core applied research, policy and programmatic priorities including reviewing literature; managing large datasets; constructing data files for analysis; preparing tables, charts, and other forms of data visualization; investigating issues; and conducting surveys, interviews, and site visits
- Develops and oversees the execution of project timelines to ensure conformity with deadlines and budget
- Communicates research results in research reports, briefs, fact sheets, presentations, blog posts, and webinars to a broad range of audiences (technical and non-technical).
- Supports Prosperity Now’s external communications by responding to media inquiries, and drafting press releases and other public affairs materials
- Performs support activities such as website content development and planning, coordination, and execution of meetings and conferences
- Works with and supports the Director of Applied Research on project development, budget management, and grant proposal and grant report writing
- Manages Prosperity Now staff for assigned projects
- Supervises one to two direct reports; along with consultants and interns, as needed
- Serves as the team representative in designated cross-team initiatives
- Advises and trains Prosperity Now staff on Scorecard-related resources
- Fulfills other responsibilities as assigned
- Advanced degree in political science, economics, public policy, sociology or other related fields
- At least eight years of relevant work experience
- Extensive experience with quantitative research methods, including: advanced statistical analysis; data collection, manipulation, and management
- Submission of a writing sample in your application that demonstrates ability to conduct original research and statistical analysis working with secondary data sources (e.g., Census, SIPP, BLS, and BEA datasets)
- Excellent computer and database management skills. Proficiency with Word, Excel, and advanced experience with a statistical package required (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R, STATA)
- Experience with geographic information systems and interactive data visualization software required (e.g., ArcGIS, Tableau, R)
- Experience effectively managing projects and project staff, prioritizing work to meet organizational goals and deadlines required
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills, in both small and large group formats.
- Experience in budget and staff management preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a broader team
Directly supervise Applied Research staff as needed.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job description is subject to change at any time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate and exchange information. The employee frequently is required to remain in a stationary position and constantly operate computer and other office productivity machinery.
Prosperity Now is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. We encourage candidates from various backgrounds to apply.
How To Apply