ABOUT GENERATION CITIZEN:
Generation Citizen is transforming how civics education is taught by bringing the subject to life. We champion real-world democracy education that equips all young people with the skills and knowledge needed to effect change. To ensure that our democracy represents the voices of all people, we prioritize working with students from communities that have been historically excluded from the political process. In the classroom, our Action Civics program inspires robust civic participation by inviting students to engage directly with the local issues and institutions impacting themselves and their communities. We provide thought leadership, conduct research, and build coalitions to advocate for state and district level policies that ensure schools prioritize Action Civics.
Generation Citizen is in our 11th year of operations and has educated more than 90,000 students since our founding.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Associate Director, Learning Technology will join the GC team and be a critical leader within the organization’s program operations. The Associate Director, Learning Technology will come onboard during an exciting time for GC as we embark on a new strategic plan with a strong focus on centering racial equity in civics education and a new commitment to intentionally engage youth in our democracy. This role will be responsible for building a strong digital foundation for the organization, through charting the organization’s digital path, and designing and managing effective and user-friendly learning technologies and technology processes as it relates to serving GC’s external stakeholders, primarily teachers.
The role merges both the creative and technical, and is best suited for a highly collaborative, people-focused, and methodical professional, who will thrive with multiple foci and a lot of space to innovate and improve. The role will be part of the National Program team and will sit at an exciting intersection of all our program roles. The person in this role will partner closely with the Sr. Manager, Curriculum, as well as regional program leaders and other team members. This new role at Generation Citizen will report to GC’s Sr. Director, Program & Impact, and be a member of the National Program team.
Implement & Continuously Improve GC’s Learning Technology
- Primarily responsible for leading GC's digital approach, and with oversight from GC’s Sr. Director, Program & Impact, will craft and execute a strategic vision for digital engagement in all aspects of GC’s work.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organization, specifically colleagues in the National Program and Operations departments, to develop and implement a virtual learning strategy that is aligned with the organization’s new strategic plan.
- Manage and execute both long-term and short-term, discrete projects that support an accessible and user-friendly virtual education experience for GC teachers. Secondarily, support in designing experiences that allow increased frontline access and understanding of our program and curriculum to important GC stakeholders, such as donors, policy and advocacy stakeholders, and members of our internal team who do not typically interact directly with our program.
- Collaborate with GC’s Finance Manager and Sr. Director, Program & Impact to build, propose investments for, and manage against the organization’s budget for learning technologies.
- Collaborate with GC’s Curriculum Manager to translate and optimize GC’s curriculum into accessible platforms and technologies.
Learning Platform Management
- Optimize the content and design of our current platform, Weebly, to ensure usability by teachers and respond to needs as possible.
- While optimizing current systems and platforms, collaborate with National Program and Operations colleagues to assess organizational needs for future technology deployments, likely an LMS or similar platform.
- Manage, maintain, and continuously improve these systems once implemented.
Learning Technology Support & Stakeholder Service
- Support stakeholders in troubleshooting issues with platforms and technologies
- Collaborate with, influence, and motivate colleagues to promote strong adoption of technologies and continued stakeholder engagement in technologies.
- 5+ years of experience identifying business requirements, and working with vendors and users in order to implement and manage technologies and systems, ideally in a nonprofit environment
- Experience implementing a LMS or similar platform for online learning.
- While all GC teammates are currently working remotely, we hope for this person to be based in one of GC’s six regions (Austin, Boston, New York City, Oklahoma City, Providence or San Francisco Bay Area) with an ability to commute to a local office, once re-opened.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & NECESSARY COMPETENCIES:
- A deep commitment to and passion for Generation Citizen’s mission
- A strong relationship-builder, empathetic listener, and giver (and receiver!) of direct and supportive feedback in order to connect to, engage and inspire others towards outcomes, as well as for personal growth
- Highly collaborative spirit, with a strong ability to project manage and get things done (individually and through others) in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; and strong ownership of personal actions and team outcomes
- A commitment to anti-racism and diversity, equity and inclusion, with an ability to use these subjects as a lens for successful project management.
- Strong time management skills and an ability to stay organized and give attention to details while managing diverse tasks, activities, and projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to maintain professionalism with diverse stakeholders
- Strong ability to learn, design, and use technologies and platforms, with an ability to support others in learning technologies and developing technological competencies.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skilled at working within a resource-constrained environment
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N2GNCCZ)and be sure to attach a resume and cover letter. The Talent Manager will reach out to qualified candidates to schedule a phone screen. We appreciate it if you could refrain from reaching out to GC team members directly to inquire about the position or status of your application.
While the hiring timeline is subject to change, the GC team hopes to have our new Associate Director, Learning Technology in seat by February 1. We encourage applicants to submit their applications early.