Western Center seeks an experienced, dynamic fundraising professional with individual giving experience, including expertise building donor relationships, sustaining and increasing current donor gifts, conducting research, outreach and events, and securing new annual fund donors at and below $10,000.
This is an excellent opportunity for a fundraising professional to fulfill a primary role in the Western Center's individual giving strategy. The position demands creative and strategic thinking, and the ability to flourish in a team setting while implementing team objectives independently, often under time pressure.
This is a full-time, exempt position with opportunity for growth, and reports to the Director of Development. Candidates from Los Angeles are preferred, but qualified applicants from the Bay Area and Sacramento will be considered.
- Develop strategies and fully implement campaigns that will grow annual revenue from individuals, including but not limited to: appeal campaigns; online giving initiatives; database management and research; oversight of gift processing and acknowledgments; and fulfillment of donor benefits where applicable.
- Experience with communicating, tracking and evaluating key messaging through email, print, and social media.
- Working collaboratively with the Director of Development, identify prospects and establish strategy for building robust major gifts portfolio.
- Demonstrated curiosity about demographics and industry trends, especially as related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in fundraising.
Data and Research
- Highly adept at managing donor information, including reports, and conducting research in Blackbaud/eTapestry or similar application.
- Proficiency in MailChimp or similar application.
Events and Marketing
- Conceptualize, coordinate and independently implement basic events (e.g. small gatherings with donors and senior staff, sponsored training series, etc.)
- Support multi-layered, complex annual fundraisers.
- Work across teams to support communications and programmatic events where necessary.
- Self-motivated to work independently in a virtual environment.
- Proven organizational skills, the ability to manage complex projects and achieve results.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated design aesthetic and/or skill in creating emails and supervising the production of print and graphic materials.
- Team player and willingness to engage in broader organizational activities.
- Some in-state overnight travel is required. NOTE: No travel will be required until July 2021, possibly longer.
- Some long hours are expected, but the workday schedule is flexible and accommodating.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required and a minimum of 5 years of successful experience in annual giving for a nonprofit organization, university, or equivalent organization.
- Experience with E-Tapestry or similar donor database.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and to Western Center’s mission.
- Polished, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and joyful.
- Intellectually curious with an understanding of demographics and industry trends, especially as related to DEI in fundraising.
- Self-motivated and collaborative with an ability to work independently and achieve goals.
Competitive salary starting at $60,000 or more depending on experience.
We provide a generous benefits package, including health, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, retirement plan with ER contributions and a modest match, leave policies, vacation, and December holiday office closure at full pay. We provide opportunities and support to ensure our staff are able to grow and develop their professional skills.
How To Apply
Applications accepted until the position is filled. Applications preferred by March 1. Please email cover letter, resume, two samples of writing, such as campaign copy/visuals, or donor emails, and a list of references to Stephanie Surabian, Director of Finance and Administration, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To promote social justice and achieve our mission, Western Center is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace. In your cover letter, please explain how you think your personal and/or professional experience or background has prepared you to contribute to a work environment with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.