Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Individual Giving, the Assistant Director of Individual Giving is a vital member of the School’s frontline fundraising team. The Assistant Director is responsible for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of annual and reunion, and leadership gifts from alumni and friends of Columbia Business School. The Assistant Director will have a particular focus on project and affinity campaign work that contributes significantly to annual gift and participation goals. This work includes the Hermes Society, Columbia Giving Day, and identity and special-interest affinity campaigns (e.g. Women in Business, real estate, parents, etc.) As a member of the Individual Giving team, s/he will also assist in team projects including mailings, telemarketing programs and cultivation events. The Assistant Director will meet core and partnership values of teamwork, integrity, accountability, and respect.
- Maintains a portfolio of 150-200 potential Hermes Society level donors (currently $2,500 minimum and $1,000 minimum for those 1-5 years post-graduation). Is expected to conduct a minimum of 100 donor meetings annually, with responsibility for communications and follow-up.
- Manages 1-2 Reunion Class Committees with the overall goal of maximizing giving from these classes in the reunion year. Duties include: recruiting volunteers, coordinating and creating communications for volunteers and donors, assigning ask amounts to members of each reunion class, training volunteers to ask for support, and reporting on progress of each class.
- Supervises and supports all aspects of Giving Day in coordination with representatives from internal teams. Collaborative duties include: planning and strategy process for Giving Day, creating a calendar for social media outreach, creating materials, managing volunteers, coordinating matching fund challenges, and reporting on progress with a constant focus on better engaging the broader Business School community.
- Works closely with the Senior Associate Director on building the membership in the Hermes Society including appeals, volunteer updates and communications, member communications, and affinity group campaigns. Helps with strategy of the key NYC-based Hermes Society events in addition to regional events.
- Assists the team with planning and coordination of several additional annual projects including direct mail, telemarketing, e-solicitations, and donor events.
Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required. Minimum of 2-3 years of related experience required, preferably with fundraising experience or equivalent sales, marketing, or customer relations experience.
Excellent oral and written communication skills required (writing sample must be submitted by candidates invited to interview.) The candidate must be creative, persuasive and tactful with excellent organizational skills and an ability to work with changing priorities and multiple projects in a high volume, high demand (but highly collaborative, supportive, team-oriented) environment. Some evening and weekend hours required.
Campaign experience a plus.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to be consider as a candidate.