Achievement First is a public charter school network serving majority Black and Latinx students, preparing 100% of graduating seniors for a 4-year college degree. AmeriCorps VISTAs at AF have the opportunity to support incredible students in their journey through K-12 and beyond in New York, Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, or Providence. There are five possibilities for service at our schools:
- The Student Life Coordinator works to bring joy to students by building a repertoire of school engagement activities. From after-school activities to movie screenings to speaker series, this Coordinator’s mission is to build school spirit and enrich the student experience.
- The Attendance Coordinator tackles chronic absenteeism. Working closely with families, teachers, advisors, and support staff, this Coordinator will design and implement intensive interventions to make sure students have the support and tools they need to join our classes.
- The Community Engagement Coordinator builds bridges between the school and the community. After-school programs, clubs, community service opportunities, extra academic tutoring, and parent engagement are just the tip of the iceberg for this role.
- The College Coordinator builds connections with colleges across the country. In this role, the Coordinator will connect students with impactful opportunities to learn about possibilities for life after Achievement First.
- The Network Support Coordinator focuses on student access to food services, transportation, and school recruitment opportunities, facilitating access to a great high school experience.
With dedicated staff, strong core values, and incredible results, Achievement First shows that amazing things can happen when potential meets opportunity. We look forward to welcoming new VISTAs who want to be innovative and have a big impact. After applying through the AmeriCorps page, we will find out which VISTA position suits your unique talents, interests, and skills. For our New York opportunities, please click here. For our Rhode Island and Connecticut opportunities, click here.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have completed at least some college
- Must be able to pass the complete criminal background check performed by AmeriCorps. For more information about the background check, please check the requirements here.
To apply: please visit our listing on the AmeriCorps page to complete an application.
About Achievement First
Change requires change agents. Across our growing network of high-performing public charter schools, our students in historically underserved communities enter our doors looking for a great education. We are a network of innovators, of dedicated educators committed to pursuing excellence for ourselves and our students, of content nerds with a deep knowledge and love of subject matter, and of advocates with an unwavering commitment to inspiring all students to reach the high expectations that help them succeed. We are looking for you!
We believe in the fierce urgency of now. In our classrooms, our students benefit from high-quality, rigorous and engaging instruction infused with a contagious enthusiasm for content and learning. Our students know they can and will achieve, and every day we work to provide them with opportunities for deep intellectual engagement across all subjects and content areas. Our students will graduate from top colleges and universities and then will have access to all of the life and leadership opportunities that flow from a great education. Our students will change the world.
Every year, AmeriCorps places more than 270,000 individuals with organizations making a difference across America. VISTA members often serve for 1-2 years with their local organization, building lasting relationships and developing their skills as leaders.
- A network of thousands of other AmeriCorps VISTAs across the country
- Living stipend
- Relocation allowance
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award