Title: After-School High School Prep Specialist
Location: PS/MS 218, 1220 Gerard Ave, Bronx, NY 10452
Reports to: Project STEP/JAM Director
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
Under the direct supervision of the Project STEP Director, the High School Prep Specialist will develop and facilitate a high school prep curriculum for all current 6th and 7th grade students in WHEDco’s after-school program at PS/MS 218. The High School Prep Specialist will also support the 8th grade students in their high school selection process, as needed.
- Provide information, guidance, and general test preparation to students and families for the NYC High School entrance exam and admission process.
- Teach small groups and design appropriate lesson plans/workshops/exercises to suit the size and learning needs of the group.
- Meet with teachers about IEPs and special needs of students in 6-8th grade.
- Administer practice tests and evaluate results.
- Effectively support students in their High School admissions and selection process to empower them to make informed decisions.
- Attend weekly staff/planning meetings.
- Strong academic skills in English and math.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education or child development.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; master’s degree in progress or completed preferred.
- Minimum of two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after-school, or community-based environment. Substantial volunteer work will be considered.
- Familiarity with NYC High School admissions process and testing.
- Proficient in understanding IEPs and special needs services for students.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Able to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm, plus one hour prep per day.
- Knowledge of trends in education, career exploration and educational planning.
- Previous work experience in low-income communities.
Competitive hourly rate based on experience. This is a part-time, hourly position.
All new hires must provide proof of having received at least one dose of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) authorized COVID-19 vaccine by their first day of employment, and proof of full vaccination within 30 calendar days.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to STEPrecruiting@whedco.org. Please include “High School Prep Specialist” and your name in subject line.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.