Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green nonprofit centers to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Accounting Specialist, under the direction of the Accounting Manager, is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of accounts payable and accounts receivable services on a daily basis for Tides fiscal sponsorship operations.
The Accounting Specialist is a non-exempt position. Non-exempt employees work a standard 40 hour work week. Time worked beyond 40 hours at manager’s discretion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform all duties related to the processing of cash receipts including verifying coding, depositing, data entry, performing credit card reconciliations, monitoring and processing exceptions and corrections to revenue fees, and handling incoming checks, wires, ACH, and securities.
• Process all Accounts Payable transactions including obtaining appropriate approvals/documentation, verifying coding, data entry, processing purchase cards and outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedited, weekly, and end-of-month check runs.
• Research, analyze, and resolve accounting issues in a timely manner.
• Process year-end 1099s, including mailing, filing and corrections as required by the IRS.
• Assist with maintaining schedules and reconciliations of various accounts and preparation of journal entries.
• Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
• Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
• Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
• Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have basic working knowledge of double-entry accounting: debits, credits, accruals, etc.
• Meticulous, detail-oriented, and accurate. The position requires the ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment. Time management and organizational skills are essential.
• Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze and solve accounting issues.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, customer service and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
• Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment and maintain a high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work-related duties.
• Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) concepts and procedures utilized in a nonprofit environment as well as nonprofit-specific regulations, both federal and local, is preferred (e.g., nonprofit revenue recognition, IRS regulation, etc.)
• Proficiency with MS Office suite (including Excel pivot tables) and Outlook.
Education and Experience:
• Undergraduate degree in Accounting preferred, or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or equivalent years of related work experience.
• 1+ years of experience in a similar position.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume must include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this job. To upload your cover letter, add the file to the Attach Documents section at the end of the online application. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&jobId=150593&lang=en_US&source=CC3