Tides Advocacy is a team of political, legal, and financial experts that identify, connect, and fuel movements for social justice and the health of our democracy. We leverage our 25 year progressive network, navigate the rules, and solve problems in order to make advocacy.
Tides Advocacy has over 85 partners who represent activists, donors, movement leaders, lawyers, researchers, and journalists who are promoting equity, justice, and dignity for all. They are engaged in ballot, electoral, and legislative campaigns as well as public education and charitable activities.
From funder advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides Advocacy gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit tidesadvocacy.org.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Tides Advocacy Accounting Manager serves as the Finance lead for accounting functions including but not limited to monthly closing, financial reporting, quarterly and year-end statements and other management reports. The Accounting Manager performs and oversees quality accounting operations including accounting, project financial service and compliance work. The Accounting Manager’s responsibility is to ensure internal controls are in place for the accounting, compliance and financial management operations and systems. This includes the accounting systems and controls governing processes for: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, cash receipts and cash balances and fund allocations, regulatory compliances, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, and managing grants.
Additional responsibilities include state political committee reporting, Federal Elections Commission reporting, federal and state lobbying reporting and supporting annual financial audit and tax reporting with outside auditors and tax accountants. The Accounting Manager works closely with the Finance Director and serves as a core member of the Finance team.
The Accounting Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting and Financial Management (45%)
• Lead monthly, quarterly and annual close processes and procedures including critical reconciliations.
• Reconciles or supervises account reconciliations (bank and GL accounts).
• Ensures that the daily financial and accounting transactions are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulations including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board such as FASB 117 and 118, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations.
• Reviews grants and proposals, and billing processes to ensure adherence to and compliance with federal, state, local regulations.
• Reviews and approves accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll transactions.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting (20%)
• Summarizes and forecasts revenues, expenses, and cash flows based on past, present and expected results.
• Support budget development reforecast and monitoring processes for Tides Advocacy, including support for management, project directors, and Board of Directors to manage annual and overall budgets.
• Prepares financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis for external stakeholders, management team and board of directors.
• Supports the preparation of audit and provides support for the preparation of IRS Form 990 and other tax filings with management team.
Project Finance Support (20%)
• Engages in direct contact with projects for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning.
• Approve all cash disbursements for project caseload and monitor project cash flow to ensure compliance with TA cash management policies
• Tracks, reviews, and provides guidance on projects’ revenue and expenditures.
• Analyzes fund activity and ensure accuracy of allocations of funds to appropriate departments.
• Produces routine and customized financial reports.
• Provides financial data for inclusion in grant reports in partnership with Advising and Operations teams.
• Reviews grant budget proposals for projects/funds for accuracy and reasonableness, as needed.
• Develop financial tools and guides for client facing purposes.
Special Projects (10%)
• Reviews, evaluates and implements systems, policies and procedures. Supplemental program bank account management and administration (e.g. political committees, merchant accounts).
• Supports systems improvements for financial accounting and grants management systems and business process redesign with Operations team.
• Maintains financial report integrity in the NetSuite Financial system and keeps transaction templates and forms up-to-date with evolving processes and fiscal year roll-overs.
• Implements, improves and documents accounting procedures to ensure efficiency and accuracy, including administering training on the NetSuite financial system for internal staff and client stakeholders.
• Coordinates annual financial audit and tax preparation for Tides Advocacy with Finance Director.
• Supports systems validation support, testing, and data integrity with NetSuite and Salesforce.
• Support time tracking and cost analysis with management team.
• Other duties as assigned by the Finance Director.
Team Development (5%)
• Support staff in developing their individual development plans and meeting their professional development goals.
• Holds direct report accountable to providing excellent customer service and maintaining accurate financial information.
• Ensure balanced workloads, timely trainings, and smooth transitions for Accounting Specialist.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social justice.
• Working experience with NetSuite and Salesforce preferred.
• Exceptional knowledge of GAAP/FASB requirements. Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and procedures. Tolerance for and ability to manage risk.
• Experience with the implementation of accounting codes, general ledger account management, account reconciliation, account analysis, and preparation of financial statements.
• Ability to communicate complex accounting principles in simple terms.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of decisions.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other potentially-sensitive matters.
• Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information.
• Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work-related duties.
• Strong motivation and an ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and assignments.
• Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.