Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Accountant works with Tides Fiscally Sponsored Projects staff to provide financial services and reporting to both internal staff and external clients. Reconciling accounts and creating general ledger journal entries are essential duties of this position. Qualified candidates will have a working knowledge of Salesforce and NetSuite financial system and assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.This position is classified as part of the collective bargaining agreement (SEIU 1021).
What you will do:
- Responsible for a variety of accounting duties and maintains accurate financials for all Tides projects.
- Provide exceptional client service to internal staff and external clients.
- Review and approve disbursements and monitor project cash flow to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Tides cash management policies.
- Prepare accounts receivable invoices and entries for reimbursable government grants.
- Prepare journal entries for reclasses and reconcilement.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of project balance sheet accounts.
- Analyze activity and ensure accuracy of allocations of funds to appropriate funding sources.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for external/internal clients.
- Prepare documentation for annual and other external audits/tax filings.
- Provide back-up coverage to Senior Accountants, Fiscally Sponsored Projects.
- Other projects as assigned by management.
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), non-profit and grant accounting, and internal control processes.
- Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to identify, analyze, and problem-solve accounting or compliance issues within a deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making ability and able to make financially sound determinations.
- Ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Salesforce, and NetSuite.
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, tas-directed, deadline-oriented environment.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent years of related work experience can be substituted for a college degree.
- 2+ years of experience in a similar position.
- Fund/Grant accounting experience and/or work in a non-profit environment, preferred.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role ranges from $67,238 to $100,878 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate's experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.