THE POINT Community Development Corporation is a non-profit organization dedicated to youth development and the cultural and economic revitalization of the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx. Our mission is to encourage the arts, local enterprise, responsible ecology, and self-investment in the Hunts Point community. We are looking for the next innovative change agent to add to our team!
The A.C.T.I.O.N. Program Manager and Community Organizer primary duties include educating young people and local residents, namely THE POINT’s teen advocacy group A.C.T.I.O.N., about the current environmental justice issues facing Hunts Point and to engage them in the campaigns and as leaders. A.C.T.I.O.N. currently meets Monday, Wednesday, & Friday afternoons from 4:30PM-7: 00 PM during the school year (Sept. - June), as well as during Summer Camp PowerPOINT (July - August).
Reports To: Director of Community Development & Executive Managing Director
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Recruit, engage and retain at least 20 high school students to participate in A.C.T.I.O.N. (Activists Coming To Inform Our Neighborhood) programming from September through June, as well as lead a similar cohort during Summer Camp PowerPOINT.
- Develop and implement an annual curriculum for A.C.T.I.O.N. that meets established programming goals.
- Work with THE POINT youth development staff to implement comprehensive intake and orientation processes with all students.
- Work with ACTION youth and our strategic partners to organize yearly A.C.T.I.O.N. Townhall Meeting as well as coordination of Sheridan Teen Summit and UPROSE Climate Justice Youth Summit.
- Work with youth to set academic benchmarks and leadership goals for the group and individual students and provide support as needed.
- Oversee the coordination of A.C.T.I.O.N. program integration throughout the year, infusing campaigning and political education with our arts programs including social circus, visual arts, Mind’s Empowered, Blank Plate Culinary Arts, ICP at THE POINT, etc.
- Oversee administration of all attendance and payroll records for the A.C.T.I.O.N. participants. Work with THE POINT management to pursue potential partnerships and sustainable managing funding sources for A.C.T.I.O.N. and Environmental Justice in general.
- Check-ins with A.C.T.I.O.N. youth to assess academic and socio-emotional goals as needed.
- Work with Social Work partners to provide social/emotional support and referrals to participants as needed.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Work with THE POINT Executive Management and program managers to engage A.C.T.I.O.N. and community members in THE POINT’s Environmental and Social Justice Campaigns, with a special emphasis on our South Bronx Community Resiliency Agenda.
- Represent THE POINT at meetings regarding active EJ campaigns such as Community Board 2, South Bronx Waste Equity Campaign, South Bronx River Watershed Alliance (SBRWA), Bronx River Foodway meetings, and at other neighborhood, borough, and citywide meetings regarding environmental and planning issues confronting the Hunts Point Community.
- Lead organizing and outreach efforts with A.C.T.I.O.N. to the surrounding communities in order to educate and engage members in the latest environmental, planning, and transportation issues relating to Hunts Point via Townhall meetings, field-work, annual local parades, and events.
- Manage and coordinate THE POINT Urban Farm and stewardship initiatives at both TPCDC Campuses several times per year.
- Lead Fish Parade Committee/Friends of Barretto Point Park in organizing annual parade and summer festival.
- Train a cohort of youth and/or community members engaged in regular outreach and campaign efforts including public speaking, testimonial writing, and effective flyering techniques, etc.
- Manage the translation of all materials needed for outreach and documentation for Spanish Speaking audiences as needed.
- Draft and deliver correspondences to government officials/agencies, neighborhood organizations, community leaders, and media about pressing environmental issues as needed.
- Lead volunteer stewardship opportunities throughout the community in collaboration with partnering organizations and local schools.
- Conduct environmental justice tours and presentations of Hunts Point throughout the year to groups of students/educators and national and international visitors as needed.
- Utilize digital and social media to advance environmental justice goals as needed.
- Other tasks as needed.
What THE POINT is looking for:
- BA/BS in Urban Studies, Political Science, Urban Policy, Urban Planning, Horticulture, Biology, History, Social Work or Education preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, environmental and climate justice.
- Extensive experience in After-School Youth Development, Social Work and/or Education in non-traditional educational settings.
- Experience as a community organizer.
- Ability to model positive interactions with the larger community.
- Serve as a team player and managing leader working alongside artists, administrators, youth, and partners.
- Experience in climate change, resiliency, horticulture, green technologies, environmental stewardship and/or urban farming.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- Bronx residents strongly encouraged to apply.
What THE POINT offers:
- Competitive rate for full-time employment with supplemental benefits package.
- Opportunity to work with leading innovators in the field of Youth & Asset Based Community Development, Climate Change, Arts and Culture, Resiliency and Environmental Justice.
- Rich, diverse, supportive and flexible work environment.
Salary range: $34,000 - $36,000 / annual to start...
How To Apply
THE POINT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.